Home Forums General Discussion Forum New England Clock Arms Incorrectly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tedroy
    Participant

Hello all;

On the New England Clock the forum has been helping me with. It is now keeping proper time but I noticed a mistake I made in putting it back together. The movement is made in Germany, hard to make out exactly where.
      It is a double strike. That is it has two hammers that strike once for each hour and again once for the half hour. The striking mechanism was not working when I got it so I have no idea how it should work.
      Problem: When the hour (or half hour is reached) the full cycle is not completed. Say one oclock. One hammer will strike the other is raised and poised to strike but does nothing until the clock arms for the next strike. For 2 oclock it should strike 4 times. It will strike 3 and stop with the hammer raised for the 4 th strike. The hammer will strike when it arms for the half hour.
      I realize I will have to take it apart to adjust it but I don’t know exactly what to adjust. I don’t want to put the same problem in again and I’ve been staring at for a while now and it looks correct to me?

Thanks in advance Ted

tedroy
      Participant

I’m sorry, I forgot to mention this is a rack and snail

arutha
        Participant

Can you post up a picture of the movement so we can see what we are dealing with?
          Regards,
          Paul.

tedroy
          Participant

Here are the pics. I hope they help

willofiam

Hey Ted, picture ALWAYS help out, thanks, I am assuming your clock would strike a bim-bam (each hammer strikes) for each count, remember that when the strike train sets up your hammers should NOT be lifted at all, the wheel that the hammers are lifted by with the star shape lifting device, or “hammer lifting star” should be adjusted so that the lower and upper “hammer tails” fall between the lifting star points, also when the strike train goes into warning the hammers are still not lifted, the train needs to “race up” to lifting the hammers. in some cases if the train is under strain to get started because it is already trying to lift hammers it could falter. you will have to spread the plates and turn the wheel with the lifting star into a position that allows all this to be so. I hope this helps out. William

tedroy
              Participant

William; Thanks very much. I know exactly where and what you mean. I will try it next weekend. I know, a long time. I always take it slow so I don’t get in a rush. I will definitely post what happens. As I position the star wheel is there anything i should keep an eye out for. (Other than damaging a pivot :D
                Ted

willofiam

Hi Ted, great, we will be looking forwards to how it goes for you, yes, bending a pivot is very possible, dont force anything!!!, you want all the other gears wheels, levers, to stay put as you turn the wheel with the lifting star otherwise the train can set up the warning different and you end up chasing your tail, close observation of where everything is at and imagining where you need to adjust to before attempting will also help, may take a few tries to get it just right. just remember trials and tribulations builds character. ;) Also a good book I found on strike trains = “striking clock repair guide” by Steven G. Conover, I am sure there are many other good books, just the one I ended up with and have learned alot from. covers many styles of strike mechanisms, William

tedroy
                  Participant

SUCCESS!!!!!!!! Thank you very much for the help William! I had to open it up three times and play with it, each time I was really fearful of damaging a pivot. Have to admit, by the third opening I was getting faster in closing it up. 😆 It now strikes properly with both hammers. All I have to do now is get back in it’s case and wrap it for a Christmas gift.

Thanks again

Ted

willofiam

Ted; That is FANTASTIC, good job!!!!, funny how we learn more the more difficult things are, doesnt always seem that way at the time 🙄 but in hindsight as we look back we can smile at accomplishment :D , what a wonderful gift for someone, “the clock Ted fixed” ;) Thank God for fond memories!!!! Merry Christmas :D , William

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.