Home Forums General Discussion Forum Need some ideas repairing a Waltham PW!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steadypin
    Participant

I am currently working on a Waltham 16s 15j pocket watch. My problem is it runs for 8 to 10 minutes and stops. My first thought was a dirty or bad pinion leaves or bad wheel teeth, third wheel. After inspection of all the wheels and pinion leaves (nothing bent or broken or rusted) I found nothing suspicious. After replacing all the wheels from a working movement of the same size and pivot size I have the same problem (runs 8 to 10 minutes). I also changed the mainspring barrel although the original one looked fine. I did check the cannon pinion and minute wheel/hour wheel teeth all looks good. Finally I checked it with the dial on and off. I did notice when the movement stopped the minute wheel was tight or binding against the cannon pinion. Looking for some fresh ideas to repair this movement. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, steadypin.

c.kelly
      Participant

Hi,
        I seem to remember having the same sort of issue while working on a Bulova wristwatch a year ago. Does the watch seem too tight when you try to set the hands? Will the watch run and not stop without the hands and cannon pinion in place? My solution was to change cannon pinion which solved my issue. It also may be possible the dial itself could be a bit loose putting the dial train in a bit of a bind, had this happen on an accutron with broken dial foot once. I do remember posting what I found while working on the bulova here under “bulova 7ak” topic so if anything I mentioned seems similar you might look that up and see what Bob had to say back then. Will be interested in what you found.

Charles

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum SteadyPin!
          Charles makes some good points to check out.
          One thing you may want to check first though if the movement is out of the case is that the tiny lever that sits in a small slot on the rim of the watch not far from where the stem enters the movement, is pulled out. This disengages the setting mechanism from the rest of the train which kicks into action when the stem is removed from these movements. If this lever isn’t pulled out then it can actually add enough drag to stop a watch that isn’t in perfect condition when testing out of the case and will appear like the motion train is stuck…like what you’re describing.
          Here’s a description of the lever and what it does that we covered a couple of years ago up here:
          http://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192

Please let us know what you come up with or if you have further questions.

Good luck and enjoy!
          Bob

steadypin
          Participant

Hi Charles, thanks for your reply. I have tried a couple of other cannon pinions with the same result. You did mention with the cannon pinion off the watch, it will run the mainspring completely down. It only stops in 8 to 10 minutes when the cannon pinion and minute wheel are on regardless whether the dial is in place or not. I did check the dial and it is not loose, movement has good dial screws. I have also replaced the minute and hour wheel with those from the good movement. An easy answer to this problem is case the good movement and go on but this is really bothering me because I cannot find the problem. All my troubleshooting material points to the third wheel but as I said I replaced that with a good one. Thinking the movement runs without the cannon pinion and minute wheel in place that maybe the center wheel is bent. But again replaced that with the same results. Thanks again, if I find the problem I will let you know.

Bob Tascione

Hi SteadyPin,
              I think we may have been posting at the same time and that you missed my post.
              Yes from what you are saying what I posted could very well be the problem.
              Please scroll up a little and check it out.

Bob

steadypin
              Participant

HI Bob, you were right on with information about the lever. The balance is now showing good motion and the movement is keeping good time. Your information is greatly appreciated thank you for your response, Steadypin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.