Home Forums General Discussion Forum need help with a clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

I had a customer bring in this movement (Gustav Becker p54). He said that it would not strike the, but the chime and time were working. He said it was like the chime train had run down on it, but when he tried to wind it, it would only wind a couple of turns. It has been about 6 years since it was serviced, so it was in need of a good cleaning. I cleaned and polished it, and found no obvious damage or excess ware. I put it back together, and put it on the test stand. It ran pretty slow, so I adjusted the rating nut up, and got it to keep good time, except that it seem to strike the same hour twice 😯 .I reset the hour step one tooth forward and got that stopped. Now the problem is that every couple of hours it will not strike the hour. The chime sequence stays the same, and the following hour it will strike the hour, only it is the wrong hour :( I do know the worn on the strike side is pretty short. My question is, is it possible that having such a short worn cycle, is causing the strike to not have enough time to strike. I am not sure if this is a symptom or not, but I did have to raise the rating nut quite a bit, in order to speed the movement up. Also I wanted to welcome the newby, welcome to the forum Chris :D :D :D :D Mahlon

bernie weishapl
      Participant

On some movements I have found that a short warning will definitely cause problems. It won’t let the rack drop all the way or at all. Normally on the strike I turn the wheels and stop them just as the strike hammer drops. I then put on the gathering pallet. If it has a square shaft for the gathering pallet to fit on as soon as that hammer drops I stop the rotation and put it on. Most times it will turn just slightly but will give it a full warn. Hope that makes sense.

mahlon
        Participant

Thanks Bernie, I think you have solved the problem. I also discovered the problem with it running slow. I was talking to a friend last night about this movement running so slow and the first thing he said was to check the friction on the hour step cam( I think that’s what it’s called). Anyway, by running the min. hand around to check strike and chime, it had become loose and was slipping. I’ll get it back on test stand today. I really appreciate the help :D Mahlon

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Good glad to here it. Let us know if that was the problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.