Home Forums General Discussion Forum Need advice – stuck balance cap jewel – Elgin 6S

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sstakoff
    Participant

Hi-

Looking for advice on loosening a top balance cap jewel on Elgin/6S. Removed both screws but it’s in there pretty good.
      Tried rodico, tried a bit of a soak in one-dip, tried gentle prying with screwdriver but don’t want to damage.

Thanks in advance

randy
      Participant

You will eventually want to buy a jewel pusher. They look similar to a sleeve wrench for pocket watches.
        For now…you can try this.
        They are friction fit so what I would do is to lay the balance cock upside down onto a piece of pithwood, or even some rodico if you don’t have any pith buttons.
        Use a piece of wood just slightly smaller in diameter of the jewel setting, or a flat faced stake from your staking set if you have one. Be careful to not contact the jewel itself, but the outer ring of the brass setting, so you don’t chip the jewel.
        Gently push the setting out.

best,

Randy

bamadadof3
        Participant

You will find almost all of them will need to be pushed out from the bottom as Randy advised. It’s really the best way to do it and it will keep you from butchering your pretty jewel settings.

sstakoff
          Participant

Thanks for the replies, but I’m still confused. I have a jewel pusher, but I don’t believe the brass setting of the cap jewel is
            accessible from the underside of the balance as the hole jewel and its setting would be in the way??? Have I got this wrong?

Thanks again in advance!

sstakoff
            Participant

Here are some pics of the feisty jewel. Don’t think I can push from the underside as this is the hole jewel, which
              I don’t want to mess with. Just want to remove the cap jewel in order to clean properly.

fleurenf
              Participant

Would it work if you placed something soft but firm and equal diameter of the jewel on the underside than gently press to see if it will move?

chris mabbott
                Participant

A Late welcome to the forum..

In your photo #1 the underside of the balance cock. You push out both jewel settings from here. The jewels are mounted in the brass settings.

Photo #2 this is the top side, the jewel settings will eject outwards from this side.

As Randy mentioned, you need a punch with a slightly smaller outside diameter than the cock hole (great word:-) but the diameter must be sufficient to touch the brass NOT the jewel.

If they are tight, what I use is a piece of pegwood that i sand to fit, then gently tap until both setting are free.

Be careful where you push them out, make sure, if they fly, that you can find them.. They will probably be stuck together with dry oil..

Make a note of the mating pin prick on the TOP jewel setting, this assures that the screw spaces align and the jewel setting goes back in the same way..

I also see another problem… One of the tiny pins (curb pins) is sticking up, you will have to gently tap this back in..

sstakoff
                  Participant

Ok.. Got it. I was trying to avoid removing the hole jewel, but it sounds like that’s not going to happen.
                    Will give it a shot. Any advice on how to ensure that when I replace the hole jewel I do so to the correct depth?

chris mabbott
                    Participant

When you have cleaned the jewels/settings and used pegwood to clean the holes, then you can also use a piece of pegwood the clean inside the hole in the balance cock, blow it out after to remove debris..

Install one setting at a time, hole jewel first, making certain that it is straight and not angled. You can apply a small amount of oil inside the jewel housing with your oiler.
                      The hole jewel will stop as it contacts its seating lip, so don’t force it. The cap jewel should be flush with the top of the balance cock, as your photo shows. They are pretty well sized for their space..

randy
                      Participant

Once you get it out..you should see that the hole jewel has a flange that seats against the hole in the balance cock.

You shouldn’t need to adjust it.

Randy

sstakoff
                        Participant

ok.. Wish me luck!!

sstakoff
                          Participant

worked perfectly… Jewels removed – no problem.

Thanks for all the advice/help

tukat44
                            Participant

This is GREAT!!! I love it when forum advice leads to immediate success!!! Grateful, as always to everyone. Regards Tukat

randy
                              Participant

Glad to hear that all went well !!

Best

Randy

chris mabbott
                                Participant

Good job dewd, yep I said dewd, it slips out now and then 😆

To whom should I and the lovely Randy send our bill to..? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.