Home Forums General Discussion Forum Need advice on New England Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tedroy
    Participant

I have a wall clock from the New England Clock Company. When I purchased it the chiming mechanism did not work and only with effort did it run. I have disassembled it cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner, replaced the springs (badly set). The clock sat through the summer until I finally put it back together this weekend. Took me this long to get the nerve to replace the mainsprings by hand. (I did lubricate the springs.

Now it is getting closer to working. The chime is striking without effort. Without the pendulaum the clock runs but when I add the pendulum it runs for about 30 seconds then slows to a stop. I have tried oiling as per videos and that seemed to help some. Any suggestions what I should look for or try now?

Ted

willofiam

Hi Ted, it could be several things and it would help to have a picture of the works and I am thinking especially the escapement. Also did you check and or install any bushings???? possible a bent pivot??? the reason I am thinking about the escapement is because I would also want to look at the angles of impulse and the locking faces between the escape wheel and verge pallets. Anyway like I said it could be many things and with pics or a little brainstorming I am sure we can figure this out. check and see if any of the past posts would have info for your situation, sometimes they can inspire ideas for you. ;) Have a great thanksgiving, William

Bob Tascione

Hi Tedroy,
          I agree with William. There are many possible reasons for a clock to stop running after replacing the pendulum. Knowing what movement you have may be of help. Is it possible the movement is an Urgos? Does it have any letters/numbers on it?

Bob

arutha
          Participant

Does the clock run in and out of beat? Just asking as a common problem is the escape wheel having too much play in the pivot holes which will lead it to stopping in most cases.

tedroy
            Participant

Thank you all. I was off line over the holiday. Hope you all had a happy holiday. I read the posts this morning and studied the pallet and escape wheel carefully. The escape wheel and pallet are in a little house that is assembled before the main assembly goes together. I guess this protects the clocks against ham handed amateurs such as myself from bending any pivots.

While watching the escape wheel I had a picture of the clock up that I had taken before I cleaned it. The suspension spring had a little notch in the picture that was reversed on my clock. In other words I placed the suspension spring in reverse from how it had been originally. I turned it around and the clock has been operation for the last three hours. Why would the orientation of the suspension spring make a difference? Or perhaps I bent the crutch accidentally when turning the spring around.

Any thoughts? I really would like to understand this.

Ted

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.