Home Forums General Discussion Forum NAWCC: Clark vs Archer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

The NAWCC forum can be read by the general public and, as in this forum, only requires a membership to post. If you go to the NAWCC forum and go to: WATCHES, WATCH REPAIR and then go to page 3, you will find an article submitted on 4-27-13 called SOMETHING TO CONSIDER written by Dewey Clark. You can find the history and background of DEWEY CLARK and his nemesis ARCHER on the internet and draw your own conclusions as to who is correct in this exchange.
      david

arutha
      Participant

Here is a link to it-
        http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?101765-Something-to-consider
        This is one of the reasons I dont use the Nawcc forum, which is a shame because it does hold a lot of valuable information. I like this forum the best :)
        Paul.

david pierce
        Participant

Both combatants have their shops posted on line. One is http://www.historictimekeepers.com and the other is http://www.archerwatches.ca

arutha
          Participant

Yeah, great advertisment for two very professional people.
            Paul.

willofiam

Hey Paul and David, what kind of holders do you use? 🙄 just kidding, seems a bit childish, I wonder what would have been said if I posted my first clock movement holder? it was a threaded rod with angle brackets, hose clamps and a couple a chunks of wood, I think Bob saw it and said, “HEY great idea, very resourceful”. Glad I didnt get slambashed by someone for it, remember, CRITICISM WILL SQUASH CREATIVITY, all I know is it worked until I could get the one I wanted. hey guys and gals, HAVE FUN with what we do, as for me I will be crotchety enough when I get older :? no sense in arguing where the cow came from if your sitting there eating steak. new ideas are always welcome as far as I am concerned!!!! someone had to invent the first watch movement holder….William

tmac1956
              Participant

All I can say is that if they have enough time to post like this, then business must be slow. Totally childish – and that’s what I got for my +- $80.00. I get a lot more information from those here without the attitude. I don’t mind getting verbally spanked for my ignorance (which is legend), but I’d like to think that I didn’t have to pay for it.

Just my 2â‚¡s…

tmac

P.s. This makes me REALLY appreciate you guys for taking the time to answer questions asked by someone who knows very little and can’t possible return the favor.

Anonymous

test

david pierce
                  Participant

Tmac,
                    You could have put the $80.00 toward your HF mill.

tmac1956
                    Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                      You could have put the $80.00 toward your HF mill.

I know… and it makes me ill. Oh well.

tmac

arutha
                      Participant

Tmac,
                        you will get your chance to return the favour very soon the way you are learning! Dont forget we were all in excatly the same position as you are now just a few years ago, I still know nothing compared to some people. I asked my fair share of noob questions and never had anything but nice, well thought out answers. As William says, that kind of help goes a long way and helps to encourage you. When you get a snotty answer to a question it serves absolutely no purpose other than to make you look small to other forum members.
                        It cost nothing to be nice :)
                        Paul.

digitaltripper
                        Participant

Personally I use the yellow holder as it is the only way to go…I have the grey holder too but yellow is better. I also have to hold the movement with my fingers and I prefer to not use cots as the movement slips around to much unless I need to use cots and then it does not slip to much…I also use the blue duster as the blue duster works much better than a red duster as the volume of air is perfect in a blue duster but not in a red duster..

Really?…Of all the things you could be talking about or discussing…WOW…Apparently their serious about this discussion…Glad I did not pay 80.00 either…

And as Paul said I have to agree I know a whole lotta nothing too….

Jim

david pierce
                          Participant

All,
                            I recently purchased a ball engravers vice because I wanted to learn something about hand engraving. Just now when I looked at the pictures of the watch movement holders I realized that the engraving vice will make the ultimate watch movement holder. I too have had a problem with the holders and movements sliding around the bench. The vice can be rotated to any position, weighs as much as a bowling ball and isn’t going anywhere.
                            david

tmac1956
                            Participant

David:

I’ve seen those. Before I actually read what they were called, I thought they were fancy movment holders. It does make sense though as most people prefer a ball turret type vise for holder work over the old linear ones. I’ll have to check one of those out a little closer.

THanks!
                              Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.