Home Forums General Discussion Forum NAWCC…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

A few weeks ago I decided to join the NAWCC. Thinking I would find a plethora of info there, I finally got time to delve into their site and – MAN – what a shock. There’s almost NO valuable content there. To start with, I went through their online videos. While most of them are previously recorded talks given at NAWCC regional events dealing mainly with clocks and what-not, there are a few (very few) dealing with watches. However, almost every one of the videos that are professionally developed are available on YouTube for free – actually YouTube has many – MANY more. If you want to get at articles and publications of any substance, you have to “check them out” at an additional cost. Their “For Sale” site is an even bigger disappointment.

Not to be deterred yet, I looked up the closest state chapter which turns out to be in Birmingham AL about five hours away. In itself, distance is not really a problem but most of their activity is just linked to the NAWCC site proper. They only have about 30 active participating members who meet at a little resturant on Saturday night once a month, and sponsor no marts or anything like that. If I want to attend those, I’ve got to go to a regional annual get-together.

On its face, membership in the NAWCC appears to be only something one uses to enhance credibility on a business promotional advert or something.

Oh well… if I wanted content, I suppose I should have joined the BHS.

Just my initial findings here… I could have used that eighty or so bucks on more tools!

tmac

arutha
      Participant

Dont be too upset Tmac, you may just find at one of the meetings a contact that makes it well worth the money. One good contact who is willing to give you hands on experience is worth so much more than the $80.
        i didnt find the BHI any better to be honest. Their forum was built by Noah just after he finished the ark and it is now hardly used. there isnt even a search facility on it.
        just remember, you always have us at hand to help out. :)

tmac1956
        Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Dont be too upset Tmac, you may just find at one of the meetings a contact that makes it well worth the money. One good contact who is willing to give you hands on experience is worth so much more than the $80.
          i didnt find the BHI any better to be honest. Their forum was built by Noah just after he finished the ark and it is now hardly used. there isnt even a search facility on it.
          just remember, you always have us at hand to help out. :)

Arutha:

True – this site has spoiled me!

Thanks…
          tmac

david pierce
          Participant

Tmac,
            If you dig through the Forum blogs you will occasionaly see some good information but you have to look for it. Some of the contributors have made impressive tools in their home machine shops. Overall, the NAWCC could be a lot more than it is. My (Atlanta) chapter has about a 98% interest in clocks and most of the members look like they are in their mid 80s. The meetings consist mostly of long winded discussions about financial matters. The first meeting had an accountant discussing U.S. tax codes for about 90 minutes.
            david

tmac1956
            Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
              If you dig through the Forum blogs you will occasionaly see some good information but you have to look for it. Some of the contributors have made impressive tools in their home machine shops. Overall, the NAWCC could be a lot more than it is. My (Atlanta) chapter has about a 98% interest in clocks and most of the members look like they are in their mid 80s. The meetings consist mostly of long winded discussions about financial matters. The first meeting had an accountant discussing U.S. tax codes for about 90 minutes.
              david

david:

The nearest chapter to me is located in Tallahassee Florida. There happens to be a member of that chapter here in Dothan who I meet with a few days ago. Basically, your experience is the same as his. I guess I’ll go to a meeting to see for myself, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be like your chapter experiences – only smaller.

Thanks!
              tmac

jakeh417
              Participant

The cost is up there when you add in local chapter fee. But I joined because of the local chapter library. It had many many books that I wanted that my local libraries did not have. I have yet to go to any events or meetings, I just show up, check out books and then leave. When I have time I’ll join in and see how things go.

tmac1956
                Participant

@jakeh417 wrote:

The cost is up there when you add in local chapter fee. But I joined because of the local chapter library. It had many many books that I wanted that my local libraries did not have. I have yet to go to any events or meetings, I just show up, check out books and then leave. When I have time I’ll join in and see how things go.

jake

Our chapter is too small to have a library – it would deal strictly with colcks anyway. Although I’m focusing on watches right now, I plan to move into clocks later. I am hoping that there is a mathematician or physicist from FSU that might give us a good talk but I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks!
                  tmac

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.