• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Paul,
      I have only been to one meeting so far. It meets on the first Sunday of every other month. Most of the meeting was a bit dull consisting of lengthy discussions about who ran for which office and asking for additional donations for various causes that I had no interest in. Then the accountant for the chapter got up and began discussing U.S. tax codes and tax laws. At this point I didn’t know whether to fall asleep or leave but I stayed and I am glad I did. The last speaker was the clockmaker who designed and built the worlds most accurate mechanical pendlum clock. I posted a previous thread about it that I called SUPER CLOCK. If you have not checked it out yet you may want to.
      You can go to the NAWCC website and read the blogs without becoming a member but you cannot post any messaages or view their library and video material. Sometimes a few of the people making comments can be a bit arrogant and nasty but most of the comments are similar to Bob’s forum. For example, I posted a response to a question for an ultrasonic cleaning solution an mentioned that I used NAPTHA. The reason I use NAPTHA was the result of experimenting with many different solutions and solvents and I decided to use it because it did a beautiful job and was inexpensive when purchased by the gallon. This started a barage of personal attacks that I had not seen before. One person flashed his ROLEX credential in my face and told me I needed to “MAN UP AND USE L&R CLEANING SOLUTION”. It was certainly a bit different than this forum.
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Paul,
        I have only been to one meeting so far. It meets on the first Sunday of every other month. Most of the meeting was a bit dull consisting of lengthy discussions about who ran for which office and asking for additional donations for various causes that I had no interest in. Then the accountant for the chapter got up and began discussing U.S. tax codes and tax laws. At this point I didn’t know whether to fall asleep or leave but I stayed and I am glad I did. The last speaker was the clockmaker who designed and built the worlds most accurate mechanical pendlum clock. I posted a previous thread about it that I called SUPER CLOCK. If you have not checked it out yet you may want to.
        You can go to the NAWCC website and read the blogs without becoming a member but you cannot post any messaages or view their library and video material. Sometimes a few of the people making comments can be a bit arrogant and nasty but most of the comments are similar to Bob’s forum. For example, I posted a response to a question for an ultrasonic cleaning solution an mentioned that I used NAPTHA. The reason I use NAPTHA was the result of experimenting with many different solutions and solvents and I decided to use it because it did a beautiful job and was inexpensive when purchased by the gallon. This started a barage of personal attacks that I had not seen before. One person flashed his ROLEX credential in my face and told me I needed to “MAN UP AND USE L&R CLEANING SOLUTION”. It was certainly a bit different than this forum.
        david

David:

I’ve been considering joining one of those organizations. Now, it sounds like I need to join AWCI or BHI instead of NAWCC…

Thanks,
        tmac

arutha
        Participant

David,
          I too have had a similar experience with the NAWCC forum, you just have to realise there are nasty people wherever you go. I know Bob has been lucky with this forum and it has only attracted good people, with sometimes different points of view but they have never felt the need to attack another member or be rude as you quite often see on other forums. It doesnt solve anything.

Tmac, the BHI is ok but their forum is from the dark ages and their members have been complaining about it for ages. The BHI journal that you get once a month is quite good but not sure if it justifies the £100 per year subscription.

Paul.

tmac1956
          Participant

Does anyone have any experience with AWCI? I have a video they produced about using the Jacot Lathe and it’s very good.
            That’s about all I know of them.

Just curious…

Thanks!
            tmac

david pierce
            Participant

Paul, Tmac,
              The reason I joined the NAWCC was because the local chapter (54) is near me. The dues for the national organization were $84.00 for the year and the local dues were $30.00. I pulled some information from the BHI off of the internet and got some fantastic articles about making watch and clock parts.
              david

achipo
              Participant

Check out IHC 185. It’s a great forum and a great bunch of people. It is primarily focused on pocket watches and clocks, however.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.