Home Forums Member Shop Pics. My simple bench “Randy”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

I made this by building simple pine boxes for the legs of an old Mahogony desk to slip into, so that I could get the correct height. I then built a 3/4 plywood top, screwed into the old desktop, and covered it with green architect’s mat.

This was from a few months ago,..but I’m still adding/ changing as I go…the lamp is now in the left corner to facilitate better lighting over the Jacot tool when in use

willofiam

Hi Randy, looks good,do you have a woodshop or woodworking background??? I dont know if you can see in my photos but I too made a bench-top. I found that if I take some solid wood stock and drill several holes in it and attach to the top I can create alot of tool holding places, helps keep them organized and out of the way. I seem to keep adding. like you I am always changing the layout to find what works best and in the end I hope to make it less stressful and faster. William

randy
        Participant

Hi William,
          Yes, I can build quite a few things, but I don’t have a decent shop set up in our new house ( yet ).
          But I appreciate your comments, as I have been looking into adding additional shelves along the back of the bench, and I think that I should just make them, instead of buying something ready-made,…

Thanks for sharing,..take care.

Randy

arutha
          Participant

Very neat randy! We have this thing in the UK called freecycle where you advertise stuff you no longer want and anyone who wants it e-mails you to arrange collection. Its where my desk and bookcase came from. A shelving unit is not too difficult to make but wood sure aint cheap. Try a few garage sales where you could pick up a shelving unit cheap.
            Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Bob Tascione

That’s a great, well organized setup Randy!
              That window must provide a nice natural light source.
              Well…I need to clean my bench now!!

Bob

randy
              Participant

Thanks for the input everyone.
                Paul, I am familiar with freecycle, I saw it listed when my wife and I were in the UK last year. There are a few programs similar in the US, and I think that there’s one here in the Seattle area ( other than Craigslist ).

Bob,..don’t clean to much,.I look at Philippe Dufour’s benches, and they aren’t exactly in perfect order.
                Something tells me that it takes the mind of and artisan-genius to look at a lot of material, and know exactly which movement it belongs to !

Take care everyone…

Randy

Bob Tascione

Haaa, I agree Randy. Problem in my case is that I have no idea where all these parts go! I usually dig through assortments of old parts to find something that might fit with a little alteration and then just leave everything else scattered on my bench with the intention of cleaning up after I finish the project. Yeah right! In my case I’m just a slob. :D
                  Thanks for the encouragement though!
                  Bob

arutha
                  Participant

I do have to tidy up between each clock but boy does it get messy during a clock :) A case in point, I have just completely restored a Smiths Enfield mantel clock, stripped the case because of major varnish loss, all rubbed down, re varnished to almost exactly the original colour, spent a while polishing the bezel, took the glass out and got the 50 years of crud around the edge off. Movement is spotless and running like new. All ready to go on e-bay, can I find find the hands and gong? 😯

digitaltripper
                    Participant

@Randy wrote:

I made this by building simple pine boxes for the legs of an old Mahogony desk to slip into, so that I could get the correct height. I then built a 3/4 plywood top, screwed into the old desktop, and covered it with green architect’s mat.

This was from a few months ago,..but I’m still adding/ changing as I go…the lamp is now in the left corner to facilitate better lighting over the Jacot tool when in use

Hi Randy,
                      I am curious where you get “green architect’s mat” from? Does it go by another name? I googled it and I can not seem to find it. I get cutting mats and the like but not the plain light green mat like in your picture.

Jim

digitaltripper
                      Participant
                        ewinrow
                        Participant

Another one room dweller I see. Well I just got into all of this and trying to get settled also. Your rm looks wonderful, mine looks ok but has a long way to go. Gonna work real hard on it and always look for new ideas. 😯

jaymac
                          Participant

My thanks to ewinrow for the information regarding purchasing architectuural green mats.

jaymac

randy
                            Participant

Ewinrow.
                              Yup,..I’m a one room watchmaker for now, and it works just fine for me.
                              I decided that I needed more benchspace, so I bought a used “kitchen table”,..trimmed it to the dimensions I wanted, and mounted it .
                              Solid maple, heavy, stable, and all for about $50.00 on Craigslist.

Here’s a shot of it..just finished it today.
                              Best,

Randy

jim1228
                              Participant

Very nice setup Randy

Jim

randy
                                Participant

Thanks Jim !
                                  I realized that I needed some extra space, and a more solid platform for my lathe.
                                  Everything fits better.

Take care,

Randy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.