Home Forums General Discussion Forum My second milling project…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

As a beginner, I figure I should start simple and work my way up to more complex tasks. So, I built a little screw bluing pan out of some brass bar stock I had. I know this is a trivial project, but I just thought I’d share it. Well…

Thanks,
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        The part looks nice. How did you attach the handle to the pan? Will it stay in place when heat is applied to the tool?
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

David:

It’s threaded and fixed with LocTite. I did one screw and it seemed to hold.

Thanks!
          Tom

david pierce
          Participant

Tom,
            Loctite is great stuff except when heat is applied to it. You may want to silver solder it.
            david

tmac1956
            Participant

David:

I will do that.

Thanks,
              Tom

willofiam

Hey Tom, nice job, what are the 4 holes for? I used silver solder on something like this (not near as nice) and when I used it I remelted the solder, your design is a bit different and it may not be a issue, the next one I will make with the handle riveted on. whats next? ;) William

tmac1956
                Participant

William:

The holes are for screws. I just threaded the rod but I’ll need to silver solder the handle to make sure it doesn’t back off when heated.

Thanks!
                  Tom

mclark3617
                  Participant

They have high temp loctite if your worried about it coming loose

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Nice job for your first project, it’s a nice feeling of satisfaction when you create something from an idea..

You could also drill and tap a small hole for a set screw, like on screwdrivers.. makes it easier to have interchangeable handles 💡

Chris

tmac1956
                      Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Nice job for your first project, it’s a nice feeling of satisfaction when you create something from an idea..

You could also drill and tap a small hole for a set screw, like on screwdrivers.. makes it easier to have interchangeable handles 💡

Chris

Chris:

That’s a really good idea too.

Thanks!
                        Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.