Home Forums General Discussion Forum my process of repivoting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Here is a worn pivot, this clock had steel plates and had the pivot holes punched in the past because of wear, assuming the holes were not checked and burnished all the punched holes had pivots like this one

willofiam

Mounted in the lathe with a steady rest, nip off the pivot as close to the arbor as possible, centering with the tail-stock comes later

After grinding the surface flush, I use the tool for finding center that Bob shows in his videos, works great :D

willofiam

Center is found, no picture but I then use the tail stock to make sure all is lined up correctly because I like to use the tail stock with a jacobs chuck to do the drilling

After choosing the size pivot rod I want, I select a bit just at the same size as the rod (sometimes even a smidgen smaller) depending on the hardness of the steel and size of the arbor, then select a bit a size smaller than that. The first hole is at least 3 times the size of the pivot in depth, use the smallest drill bit first

The next size is used to drill at least 1 times the pivot size in depth, this will create a stepped hole

willofiam

Drilling complete and centered

a quick test, looks good

Chuck the pivot rod into the lathe to prep

filing a slight taper I then draw the file off the end to create a rough surface ;)

willofiam

I use a 220 grit emery paper and scrape off some of the grit

roll the pivot in the grit, this will help secure the rod

Nip off the rod leaving plenty for finishing :D

Carefully tap the rod into the stepped hole with the grit, you will hear the sound of the tapping change when it is seated all the way

willofiam

Back into the lathe for finishing

Using a fine file, the pivot file and burnisher get your length and burnish the end, if careful the pivot surface may be o.k. but I like to burnish anyway

Looking pretty good

finished product (has oil and gunk on it) , thanks for listening, have fun with it and practice alot, get your own system down pat and it will not be so intimidating a job, This clock required 7 new pivots and has now been running perfectly for 2 weeks. William

Bob Tascione

Awesome demo William!

Thanks for posting this.

Bob

arutha
                  Participant

Very nice “How To” William :)
                    Paul.

daryn
                    Participant

Neat job , I like your steady rest :-)

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Great looking job William. Well done.

willofiam

O.K. well I messed up again, the depths I posted are incorrect, the smaller hole depth to be drilled should be 5-6 times the diameter of the pivot, and the larger final size hole would be approximately 2xs the pivot diameter in depth. William

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.