Home Forums General Discussion Forum My Grandfather Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

Hello Readers,

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am simply a consumer who enjoys antiques, including clocks. I am not looking for free appraisal advice. But any general suggestions regarding my situation will be appreciated.

I bought a grandfather clock in 1988. See the attached photo. It has worked well over the years, but slowed down recently. I hired a clock maintenance company, based on local reviews. After looking at the clock, he says it is a German round, circa 1910, three-train (apparently relatively rare) GF clock, with peerless elite movement and embee rods (apparently irreplaceable). It supposedly bears a 1 million hallmark.

The clock company suggested my having it do a full restoration so the clock will “work like-new and last another 100 years”. Quoted $2,400, supposedly significantly less than the clock’s “retail value” once restored (approx. $12K). To his credit, the clock man did not pressure me to make a decision and invited me to visit his shop.

I have done the best due diligence I can think of to help me make a sound decision on whether to restore the clock at this time (at a considerable expense in my book). I found virtually no specific information about a German GF clock with similar provenance, including value information, although I learned that the German Black Forest area was a prolific clock manufacturing hub during the late 1800’s/early 1900’s. The Tascione website seemed the best resource after searching the web.

If anyone out there wishes to give me their thoughts: 1. How can I verify the peerless, embee, hallmark credentials? I do know how to pull out the innards, but do not know where/what to look for to verify authenticity. 2. If the clock is what it is purported to be, is restoration something to consider? 3. What is the best resource for identifying an honest, qualified appraiser to appraise my clock. I live in Portland, Oregon (which is a smaller community than you may think). I had trouble finding someone reputable in the immediate area. If necessary, I am willing to hire someone in the Seattle area or elsewhere that is reasonably close to where I live.

I apologize in advance if anyone considers my post inappropriate for this website.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Hello
        Sorry but I don’t have any information on your clock. You might find some approximate values as well as historical facts at http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/
        I believe they establish approximate values by following final hammer prices at various auctions. It’s an amazing resource and is well worth the membership fee just for what one can learn there. I think they also have a short term daily fee.
        Good luck and hope this helps , Dan

edit: nice clock by the way!

[email protected]
        Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.