Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidjm
    Participant

Just started my first project on an old waltham pocket watch which is working. My goal is, disassemble, clean, oil, and reassemble back to life. Off to a good start and feeling positive, taking notes and drawings. I cant get on with a loupe so ordered a 3x visor then for inspection i can check with the loupe. Big achievment for me if i can reassemble.

Bob Tascione

I cant get on with a loupe

Hey David it’s not just you. Lots of people give up hassling with loupes. The eye glass clip on loupes are excellent alternatives as well as the loupes that have a wire band attached to wrap around your head. Visor are good to have too. There are some visors out the that have similar clip on type magnifiers permanently attached to them that seem to work pretty well too. Also many members use microscopes now that the prices are so reasonable.
        Good luck with the Waltham and please ask question, make comments, add pics and details about your watch if possible and keep us posted on your progress as you go. Notice I say “progress”? It’s a encouragement thing. :D
        Good luck David!
        Bob

tlshoupe
        Participant

I find these half frame magnifiers that you can purchase from casker.com are the easiest to use. especially if you wear readers or glasses, they just slide on over and you can flip them up when you don’t need the magnifier.

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product7125.html

bernie weishapl
          Participant

I use one of these http://timesavers.com/i-9995388-8-telesight-2-1-4x-magnifier.html and have 3 different ones for different working distances which are 6″, 10″ and 14″. Also on one it has auxilary 2x lens kinda like a loupe for doing watches. These work well with glasses, readers, etc.

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum TLSHOUPE!

Bob

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Welcome TLSHoupe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.