Home Forums General Discussion Forum Movements

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #48174

      I have a Nottingham grandfather clock that is quartz. Where can I go to find out what mechanical movement and
      chimes will fit in it. Thanks Gary


        Does is have the original face with the makers name on it? There are a lot of books about now that cover clock makers in specific areas, you might have to research the maker a little to see if you can find any other pictures of his work. Depending on how old your clock is might also mean that the movement was a one off. You should be able to find a movement to go in there even if it is not the original one as the chances of finding the original movement may be very slim.

        Bob Tascione

          Hi Gary,
          Is this a newer Nottingham model like Ridgeway, Howard Miller etc. or is it an antique that someone put a new quartz movement into?
          If it’s an old one and you would like to get something close to original then I think Arutha has the right idea about doing a lot of research.
          If it’s a newer clock that you would like to convert to a mechanical then you might try checking out Hermle movements. There are lots of companies that carry them. Mark Butterworth knows them inside and out and can probably help you find the one you need. Also here’s a link to a pdf that has some good info in it http://pmclocks.com/Acrobat/Movements.pdf and here’s another one with a bunch of helpful pdfs http://freetechebooks.com/file-2011/hermle-service-manual-for-movement.html
          Hope this helps Gary,

        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.