Home Forums General Discussion Forum movement knocking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sgoodstal
    Participant

Hello, Im working on a Hamilton 992 I just did a staff replacement, but after reassembling the movement it is making a very loud knocking sound and running very fast. Things I have checked. Balance wheel is true in the flat and round, hair spring seems flat and I used one dip so it is clean and I demagnetized it. Im using the old mainspring but I don’t think its a power issue, I checked the staff pivot and it looks like it is fitting proper. I think the pallet fork is hitting the banking pins making the loud tapping. Sometimes I wonder why I choose this hobby every time I think im getting better there it goes again but I guess this is another one of those learning curves. Thanks Bob for the time you spent with me walking me through replacing a roller jewel your tips worked great. Any thoughts from the forum would be greatly appreciated. :ugeek:
      Scott

willofiam

Hey Scott, keep your chin up :) Really, just 2-3 weeks ago I was saying the same thing, I was ready to give all my tools away, Arutha (Paul) my good friend said he would be happy to fly over and help me out of my depression by relieving me of my tools. Well, really as good a guy? as he is he did help me out, the advise was simple, take a break he said and let it simmer a bit and do something your looking forward too. NOW, you wont believe this but the source of my frustration was a Waltham 6s 7jewel that was KNOCKING, I thought I did everything to it but when I put it into the case it would amplify the sound and boy was it loud, for sure I lost hair, and a few bumps on my forehead from bangin it on the cement wall. Anyway I had thought the balance pivots were alright and for some reason didnt bother to look at them twice until I exhausted all other possibilities. When I looked at the pivot in the jewels while it was running (stupid me) it was banging around. Not sure if that would solve the issue but it had to be done, I put on a new balance staff and put in a upper and lower jewel. I also noticed the lever was bent so I straightened that out…Knocking was gone!!!!.O.K. as embarrassed as I am right now telling you this, I am certain that from my numbskull mistakes someone will benefit, basically in my expectation of it going smoothly so I could move on to something else I had been wanting to do I overlooked the obvious, in the end it cost me MORE time and money, lesson learned!!! (hopefully) also being simple minded as I am the thinking section of my brain shuts down when I get frustrated and I need the 2×4 attitude adjustment, I am willing to take a few waks from a 2×4 if it straightens me out because I do know that when walking into the shop in the right frame of mind does wonders in accomplishing any task. This is for you, the guy who is getting frustrated, the stories I have heard about great horologist is this….. they went through the frustration too and I would speculate that they still get frustrated once in awhile even if they dont admit it. On the positive side, each struggle we have we learn, no matter what it is. Paul said to me, “if it was easy wouldnt it get boring, would you want to be doing it?” Well, no! Check your roller jewel to make sure it fits properly to the horn or fork slot and is not too long as it could hit the guard finger also that the roller jewel is straight, look at the hairspring throughout its vibration to see if it is hitting anything, check that screws are not protruding and touching anything in the balance area, if you have a strong loupe or microscope inspect it while it is running and look into the jewels seeing the pivots action. Sorry for the long letter, hope this helps, I know it has helped me. let us know what you find Scott and have fun….William

david pierce
        Participant

Scott,
          On thing you can check is to make sure the balance wheel isn’t comming around too far and slapping the back of the pallet fork with the roller jewel.
          david

randy
          Participant

Scott.
            There are a number of staffs, depending on the version of the 992 you have.
            Different sizes, which could be the issue.
            Here’s a chart of the variables that I found…hope this helps

tmac1956
            Participant

Scott:

Two additional possibilities…

1) The balance staff has excessive end shake
              2) There is an overbanking problem

Just a few thoughts!

Let us know what you find…
              Tom

sgoodstal
              Participant

Thank you all for the encouragement and the great feed back. I’m on my second staff because I do believe the first one was incorrect. I have checked for over banking and will look closer. I am gona leave it alone until Sunday and just enjoy this great weather Hear in New Orleans and go fishing, the trout have been very hungry and hopefully catching my limit will get my mind straight on the hamilton. I will take all your suggestion into consideration like willo said sometimes the obvious is starring you in the face

EDIT: Success! The follow up post can be found at: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=972

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.