Home Forums General Discussion Forum Motion Train ??????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jdp020351
    Participant

Good Morning Group,
      Long time member and I read the forum every day but have not posted in a while.
      I was on vacation last week and decided to check out their local antique shop and came across this unique pocket watch. it’s called a “grandfather pocket watch” (it’s not antique) but I liked the way it looks.
      while in the store I wound the watch and set the hands to see if it would run. the hands set well and the second hand counted out the seconds. I turned it in several positions and watched the balance wheel. it ran fine. All appeared fine so I purchased it.
      after we returned home I re-wound the watch and set the hands to the correct time. After approx. one hour the time advanced five minutes and stopped counting time. the watch did not stop. The balance wheel was still oscillating and the second hand was still counting out the seconds.
      I reset the hands to the correct time and watched. It ran for approx 10 minutes and then stopped, the seconds still continue to count. After another 30 minutes the minute hand advanced another 5 to 8 minutes then stopped counting, again the second hand has continued to count.
      Is it possible that one of the pinion gears on the motion train slipping? or should I look somewhere else.

Thanking everyone in advance
      Jerry

stevefitzwater
      Participant

couple of questions, first does the just he minute hand stop moving, or both the hour and minute hand?

the first place I would look is at the pinion and the keyless works, make sure the crown is pushed in all the way, also the stem could be too short and when you set the time, it could of spun the crown down further on the stem, thus not allowing the keyless works to fully return to the run position and allowing the time gears to engane

jdp020351
        Participant

Steve,
          Thanks for responding. I never thought about the crown and stem. Both the hour and minute hands stop. the second hand continues.
          I’ll check the crown and stem first
          I appreciate your help
          Thank You
          Jerry

jdp020351
          Participant

Hi Steve

Thanks for that suggestion, The crown was bottoming out before the steam could seat properly in the run position
            Thank you again
            Jerry

stevefitzwater
            Participant

np, ran into that issue before

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.