Home Forums General Discussion Forum Missing pin in wheel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gr8dane
    Participant

Hi Bob,

I am working on a Sessions movement. Discovered a wheel that appears to have a missing pin. Pics attached. All the pics are of the same wheel. The sm oo1.jpg pic is the most clear and has a red arrow pointing to the pin hole.

This appears to be the pin for the J Hook because it looks like the J Hook doesn’t have any other place to engage other than this pin.

If the pin is missing, I found brass pins at Timesavers.com. Are the pins fastened by peening over the end like you would treat a rivet?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
        Hold on before ordering those pins. I don’t think anything goes in that hole. It looks like the train is either built up incorrectly or that your levers are in the wrong place. Not sure though as I don’t have any pics down here with me or access to a movement. Let me check online to see if I can dig up some links to some setting up info or pics that might be of help. Just didn’t want you ordering anything or putting anything in that hole just yet.
        Be back in a bit,
        Bob

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
          Found a couple of pics online. Not sure if this is exactly the same as your movement but one of them shows the hole.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9Ett5GQk3to/Sc6DayEyiYI/AAAAAAAABR4/H92wb41ci2Y/movement-rear.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9Ett5GQk3to/Sc6DlOiwiyI/AAAAAAAABR8/svbPXan5gFM/movement-front.jpg

I’ll look around some more.

Bob

gr8dane
          Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the prompt reply – I hadn’t yet ordered the pins so thanks for helping.

Yes both pictures accurately represent the movement I am working on. Both of these look like the movement is brand new! I cleaned my movement by hand and it doesn’t look nearly as good as the pics!

Yesterday was my first re-assembly attempt. I think I put a few things back incorrectly. Also, I am not able to turn either the timing side or the strike side with my fingers. That is, if a apply pressure to both large wheels, nothing happens. I can move the T4s & T5s though. So something is binding. I need the practice of disassembly and reassembly. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to figure out the re-assembly and get everything lined up. Next time, I probably will able to do it a bit faster.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Jay!
              Something that has always helped me when dealing with something new and complicated is to practice dissasembling and assembling the mech in question without having any other assemblies in place between the plates. You can try leaving out the time and strike train and just practice with the chime train. I tend to get confused easily so have needed to find simple ways to do things! The older I get the more I seem to dislike that thinking stuff!

Enjoy Jay,
              Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.