Home Forums General Discussion Forum Minimum ultrasonic recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    charlie188
    Participant

What would be the minimum ultrasonic tank size to start working on clocks

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I would go for no less than 2.5 gallon. I have one that is 2.7 gallon and wish I had bigger for the bigger grandfather movements. But be prepared to pay from about $850 to $1000.

willofiam

I agree with Bernie on size, I have a 2.5 gal and yes at times a little bigger would be nice. I think you can get decent one from 400 to 600. I originally bought a “prosonix” brand. I have used it for 4 years…..almost constantly….I do not have experience with other more expensive models. what I looked for was the power and frequency levels in a comparison. some of those expensive cleaners have alot of features that I think are not necessary. for me a timer, heater, tank capacity, # of transducers and frequency, the rest is eye candy. I bought mine for 360 but I think they are up in the 400s now.

Anonymous

It would sure be good to have one of these ultrasonic machines but I’m still gasping for air after checking the prices online 😮
            Will cleaning by hand in a large bucket and soft brush be acceptable for a slow moving, beginner like myself using ZEP?

Thanks
            Phil

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Yeah they are mighty proud of their products, as far as hand cleaning, that is how I clean my clocks, a Tupperware container for the Zep and then two same size containers for the alcohol washes..

eventually I will pick up that ultrasonic, but for now, I clean them by hand using a soft brush and tooth brush and some peg wood.

It takes a little longer, and I let mine soak for an hour before even touching them, then using a brush I clean it all, and use the tooth brush on tough areas, and around pivot holes, then I rinse them in warm water thoroughly, hand dry them off a little before into the first alcohol bath for 5 mins, then into the second for another 5 mins. Then into the drying box for 10 mins.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

For a couple of years I cleaned clock movements by hand using dawn dishing washing liquid and murphys oil soap. Today I use Zep orange in my ultrasonic but would be good for hand cleaning I would think. I would let the movement soak for maybe a half hour before I would start with the brush making sure you get all the pinions clean. I had rinsed twice is clean water and then in denatured alcohol to make sure all water was gone. I then put it in a homemade drying unit. I got a commercial dryer later from S. La Rose which I still use today.

Anonymous

Thank you Bernie
                  That is very helpful information and is appreciated. I’m trying to get started for a little of an investment as possible until I can prove to my spouse that it is a hobby that I will stick with. I have loved old clocks as far back in time as I can rememberso this is something that I would like to do for extra spending money when I retire in a few years.

All the best to you Bernie,
                  Phil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.