Home Forums General Discussion Forum mini French Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    estanek70
    Participant

I have a small French mantle clock that I cannot figure out how to remove the movement. I have removed the ring from the back of the clock, assuming that I could then pull the movement out through the front of the case. However the bezel and glass appear to be fixed to the case as they do not move. The bezel does not open and the hands are adjusted by an arbor that extends out of the back plate of the movement. there are four screw heads visible on the back plate. However, if I remove them and the back plate I would have no means of reassembling the movement unless the front plate can also be removed after the rear plate has been removed. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed,
        Are you sure you can’t wiggle everything out the front of the clock? They can be stubborn sometimes. If it won’t budge can you take a pic of the dial/bezel?
        Thanks,
        Bob

estanek70
        Participant

BOB, Thanks for your response. I have sent a front view to you in an e-mail. I have pushed pretty hard on the back of this movement and cannot make it budge. also, the bezel does not open as near as I can tell.
          Ed

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed,
            Thanks for sending the pic. I’ve re-sized and added it to your post above.
            I dug up a similar (sort of) clock that I have and checked it. It’s set up a bit differently than yours though with the movement being encased in a sleeve which needs a couple of screws loosened to remove it. Everything does come out through the front on mine. Just for the heck of it can you check underneath the case to see if there’s a screw that reaches through to the the movement or dial plate? I doubt it but it’s worth a look. From your pic it looks like pretty tight quarters between the movement and the case so I doubt if there are screws that need to be removed by reaching in through that tiny space. My guess is that it does need to be worked out through the front still but without having the clock in my hands (and possibly not even then) I’m not positively sure. They really can be difficult to get out of those old wood cases at times though.
            You had mentioned dis-assembling the clock while in the case but that would be tough to do since the platform is suspended between the plates and fastened to each plate by four screws from the top.
            Wish I could be of more help.
            Maybe someone up here has a better answer for you Ed.
            Bob

estanek70
            Participant

Hi Bob, there are no screws anywhere else on the case. I will try again to get the movement out of the front of the case.

Ed

arutha
              Participant

I had one of these that was quite tight, it turned out that it was a bit of a sloppy fit and some joker had used glue on it! Once the glue was cleaned up I just shimmed it with some cut up fizzy drinks can.

estanek70
                Participant

It turns out that I was just not applying enough force to the back of the movement. Once I got the movement out, I sanded the inside of the cutout lightly and the movement now can be moved in and out with minimal pressure.

Bob Tascione

Good to hear Ed!
                    It’s always scary for me when I have to force a clock or watch to respond! They usually always win! :D
                    Bob

arutha
                    Participant

That is good news, I hate it when things like that happen and you just know if you give it a little too much force something is going to break.
                      Well done for getting it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.