Home Forums General Discussion Forum Microscope For Watches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

The Amscope if an inexpensive, high quality microscope and is excellent for looking at watches. The model I have provides a clear, sharp focus at 20x and 40x. In some older threads and very recent threads Willofiam posted some pictures of his. You can also go to Ebay to take a look at them. It is difficult to get any reasonable use from a 20x loupe due to the depth of field and the stability of the human body to maintain the correct focusing distance. A 10x loupe is ok but going beyond that is difficult.
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

@david pierce wrote:

The Amscope if an inexpensive, high quality microscope and is excellent for looking at watches. The model I have provides a clear, sharp focus at 20x and 40x. In some older threads and very recent threads Willofiam posted some pictures of his. You can also go to Ebay to take a look at them. It is difficult to get any reasonable use from a 20x loupe due to the depth of field and the stability of the human body to maintain the correct focusing distance. A 10x loupe is ok but going beyond that is difficult.
        david

david:

How does this one stack up?
        http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6383289707P

Thanks,
        tmac

david pierce
        Participant

Tmac,
          That is the same model and at a better price than I paid for mine.
          david

willofiam

pretty good price, I see some of them even have longer extending arms to boom out the scope, which would work well for pulling over the lathe (I think). mine has a fixed arm similar to this but I will be modifying it in some form or fashion when I get the time. I think you will be pleased using one of these. William

achipo
            Participant

I just picked up a ProScope with a 1x to 10x lens and a 50x lens. Works nicely, but I want to get a larger monitor, as the display on my laptop leaves a lot to be desired. Oh, and you can get measurement software for it as well.

http://www.bodelin.com/proscope/proscope-hr2

willofiam

Interesting, I have wondered how these would work, to get full zoom what is the distance you have to be from the object? William

achipo
                Participant

William,
                  They work amazingly well. The 1x – 10x zoom you adjust the zoom to the desired mag then adjust the height to focus. The 50x has a plastic shroud that’s very useful if you use the built-in LED lighting, as it’s the correct working distance to place directly on the part/movement. If you don’t want contact, or if you need ambient lighting (often the reflective surface of watch movements cause imaging problems), you twist the shroud and it retracts. The only downside is that with the higher mag, the image quality is a bit blurry with the articulated arm stand.

Evan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.