Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mclark3617 new member

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself, Im a new member, 48 years old Journeyman Machine Builder Tool Maker.
      I have just found and interest in Vintage pocket watches. Im just starting out, so other than Screwdrivers I would be interested
      in hearing opinions about must have starting tools. as soon as my screwdrivers get here im looking forward to digging into my
      first watch.

david pierce
      Participant

Mclark,
        If you watch Bob’s video notice that he did the whole pocket watch disassembly and assembly with a pair of tweezers, an eye loupe and a couple of screwdrivers. Go to the board index and look at the shops these guys have. You do not need to be set up like Steffen Pahlow in order to do good work. Later you may want to get a staking set and on and on until you achieve every watchmaker’s dream; bankruptcy. It will be great to get additional input on machining questions and issues that often come up on this forum. Great to hear from you.
        david

mclark3617
        Participant

Thanks, and rumor has it that your the lathe guy to talk to when i get ready for the bankruptcy..lol.
          Im thinking my first project is gonna involve taking apart a balance. Any sugestions on a staking tool and how mich i should plan on spending,,,they can get ridiculous on Ebay with that stuff.

randy
          Participant

@Mclark3617 wrote:

Thanks, and rumor has it that your the lathe guy to talk to when i get ready for the bankruptcy..lol.
            Im thinking my first project is gonna involve taking apart a balance. Any sugestions on a staking tool and how mich i should plan on spending,,,they can get ridiculous on Ebay with that stuff.

Buy the best/ most complete you can afford
            I looked/bid/lost on Ebay, but ended up with a very nice K&D Inverto for around $125, when not many others were watching

Look to Uncle Larrys and Dave’s watch parts as well.
            They are good dealers in used watch gear.
            And welcome to the forum !

Randy

mclark3617
            Participant

Hi Randy and thanks i think i may have found one at uncle larrys. Your from marysville? I have a friend that lives there Named Lisa, shes a school bus driver.

mahlon
              Participant

MClark, welcome to the forum, I don’t do clocks, but I think you will find all the help you need here :) Mahlon

david pierce
                Participant

Mclark,
                  You can’t go wrong with K&D staking sets. Their quality is excellant and spare and/or replacement stakes and stumps are available from Uncle Larry’s and other used watch tool suppliers. Check out REDROOSTERUK on Ebay for some other tools you will need. Their STELLA brand tweezers are excellant and inexpensive. Harbor Freight has a few tools that are pretty good and also some junk. Their crystal press is very good and goes for about $14.00. They also carry a couple models of ultrasonic cleaners. I use powerful drugstore reading glasses instead of a loupe for general work but most people stay with the loupe. Bausch & Lomb loupes are affordable and very good. There are some extremely expensive Swiss loupes for sale but I do not feel they are worth the cost.
                  david

willofiam

Howdy Mclark, welcome to the forum, we are the same age (old) the guys here give great advice, I would suggest the same as far as the staking set, make sure it is as complete as possible and fairly clean (alot of junk out there), looks like Michael is refurbishing a staking set now, he will have some good ideas. Also practice on several other old junk balances to get a good handle on the process, that will save you the headache of ruining one you want to keep. I bought a handful of pocket watch parts off ebay for cheap that I used for practice. By all means have fun, great to have you here, William

mclark3617
                    Participant

Well i just bought a K&D staking set from Uncle Larrys, thnks for the tip Randy. Got my screw drivers, balancing calipers,( deal on ebay) and hand remover and watched videos 1 and 2. And i still havent turned a screw. I think its time to slow down, watch some more videos lessons and start tearing into a watch. Im still not sure what kind of lathe i want, i mainly looking to make or modify balance staffs. But i will look into that farther after watching the lathe videos. Thanks for the greetings and advice.

ewinrow
                      Participant

Hey Mclarck, wish you the best. I to enjoy pocket watches and am making good progress with them. Basic but decent tools have assisted me very much. A good loop, good screw drivers, along with a decent staking tool set, decent lighting and a decent bench. Oh and stainless steel tweezers. (Learn how to use your tweezers.) Parts pop out and seemingly my carpet and or floor gobbles them right-up. I’m not that advanced yet to invest into a lathe, but considering it. You have a lot of good people on Bob’s site here who are always willing to forward help as needed.
                        All you can do is take your time, be patient and back off when you encounter any frustrating moment’s. Oh and take pics of your breakdowns to assist you when putting back together, good memory also helps, “A LOT” 8-) Keep your interest and you should be just fine. Welcome aboard and best of luck. Ed…..

randy
                        Participant

Glad to hear that you are getting some tools to use.
                          Don’t be shy…just get an old beater movement and start tearing it apart.

Yup I’m in Marysville Wa.
                          Live about a 1/4 mile north of the old H.S.
                          PS…a two row magnet on a stick can be your best friend.

Best,

Randy

mclark3617
                          Participant

Well i started tearing down my first watch, it an old swiss bar movement, i think thats what its called, its key wind key set.
                            Question i have is the center post doesnt want to come off, it looks like since its a key set that the center barrel on the dial side is holding it up, am i right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.