Making a new ratchet wheel click

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    willofiam
    • Topics Started: 75
    • Total Posts: 1437

A recent customer had brought a clock into the shop for a complete service. One of the issues was a worn out click on the time train winding arbor. What a great opportunity to share my process. In the video I will show how I went about making those parts and look forward to your input.

I cannot seem to find my reference material for the mechanics of a ratchet and click, except for what William O. Smith, Jr has written in his book, “Twenty-first Century Watchmaking” the joy of making parts with ease.

If you have any suggestions on reference material for this subject please post it.

Hope you enjoy, ;) and have a good day….William

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

[youtube:1108a5nk]8oAKPGSAfjw[/youtube:1108a5nk]

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

Bob Tascione
    • Topics Started: 38
    • Total Posts: 1552

Wow William!
    You’re really cranking out some GREAT material.

Thanks for everything!
    Bob

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

Another great video William.

ticktockshoppe
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 0
    • Total Posts: 16

Thank you William
    Good work and fantastic machine shop.
    Best,
    Ian

willofiam

Hey guys, thank you, your kind responses are great motivators. After some bushings and a good cleaning the clock is now up and running… The owner can now wind it up safely and enjoy it for years to come. I am sure you guys have the same satisfaction that comes from being able to repair a families timepiece…..On to the next :D William

brianw
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 21
    • Total Posts: 110

Great video William. Keep up the good work….

willofiam

Thank you Brian….you too :D

abalonajr
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 1
    • Total Posts: 4

Very interesting William, thank you. Iam just getting into clock repair and trying to learn everything I can. I have been doing small engine repair for 30 years, now my back won’t take it anymore so clock repair seems to be just the thing for me. I enjoy reading the forum. The tour of your shop was interesting too.
    Thanks,
    Tony

willofiam

Hey Tony, Thank you, the shop has changed several times over 🙄

rgmt79
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 11
    • Total Posts: 56

It’s now almost 2 years since you posted this video William and I want you to know that it’s a great help to guys like me who are encountering this kind problem for the first time. I recently acquired a Japanese SEIKOSHA clock with a very similar problem. In my case, the shield had a small hole in it, allowing me access to the rivet without having to remove the shield. Rather than make a new click, I purchased a new one complete with attached click spring from a supply house. However, it came with a poor brass rivet with no shoulder, so I will follow your video and make a new steel rivet. Thanks again, Richard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
willofiamMaking a new ratchet wheel click