• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

A recent customer had brought a clock into the shop for a complete service. One of the issues was a worn out click on the time train winding arbor. What a great opportunity to share my process. In the video I will show how I went about making those parts and look forward to your input.

I cannot seem to find my reference material for the mechanics of a ratchet and click, except for what William O. Smith, Jr has written in his book, “Twenty-first Century Watchmaking” the joy of making parts with ease.

If you have any suggestions on reference material for this subject please post it.

Hope you enjoy, ;) and have a good day….William

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

[youtube:1108a5nk]8oAKPGSAfjw[/youtube:1108a5nk]

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

Bob Tascione

Wow William!
        You’re really cranking out some GREAT material.

Thanks for everything!
        Bob

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Another great video William.

ticktockshoppe
          Participant

Thank you William
            Good work and fantastic machine shop.
            Best,
            Ian

willofiam

Hey guys, thank you, your kind responses are great motivators. After some bushings and a good cleaning the clock is now up and running… The owner can now wind it up safely and enjoy it for years to come. I am sure you guys have the same satisfaction that comes from being able to repair a families timepiece…..On to the next :D William

brianw
              Participant

Great video William. Keep up the good work….

willofiam

Thank you Brian….you too :D

abalonajr
                  Participant

Very interesting William, thank you. Iam just getting into clock repair and trying to learn everything I can. I have been doing small engine repair for 30 years, now my back won’t take it anymore so clock repair seems to be just the thing for me. I enjoy reading the forum. The tour of your shop was interesting too.
                    Thanks,
                    Tony

willofiam

Hey Tony, Thank you, the shop has changed several times over 🙄

rgmt79
                      Participant

It’s now almost 2 years since you posted this video William and I want you to know that it’s a great help to guys like me who are encountering this kind problem for the first time. I recently acquired a Japanese SEIKOSHA clock with a very similar problem. In my case, the shield had a small hole in it, allowing me access to the rivet without having to remove the shield. Rather than make a new click, I purchased a new one complete with attached click spring from a supply house. However, it came with a poor brass rivet with no shoulder, so I will follow your video and make a new steel rivet. Thanks again, Richard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.