Home Forums General Discussion Forum mainsprings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

hello, I miss yall, been realy busy fixin clocks. Can anyone please give me their opinion on these mainsprings whether they look set or not, I think they are fine as Bob says that they should expand out to 2-3 times the barrel size, did I understand that correctly Bob???? and they do….they are out of a Seth Thomas works #124
      Thanks yall, William (feeling country today, need to get out fishin) ;)

arutha
      Participant

If you are going fishing let me know and I will come with you :)
        From what I know I would say they are starting to look tired as the inner coils are staying quite tight but they look like they are still expanding ,enough to work. If it was me and it was for one of my own clocks I would try them but if it was a customers clock I would probably replace them.
        Hope you are keeping well William, have missed you around here :)

Bob Tascione

Hi William,
          I’m with Arutha. The two on the right don’t look bad. I would change them if it was a customer repair. The one on the left looks like it’s distorted though. It might work but… I would replace that one even if it’s my own clock. :)
          Bob

arutha
          Participant

Oh yes, the one on the left is quite “set” and looks a bit bent, have you been pulling them out with big old rusty pliers again William? ;)

willofiam

thanks guys for your advice and expertise, the person who owns this opted out of buying new mainsprings and we will put back together with these in hopes of getting some more out of them. already cleaned, pivot polished and rebushed and moving smoothly. too bad because new springs and I am sure it would last for years to come with minimal cost. I will let you know how it turns out.
              William

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.