Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring Winder for Pocket Watches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I have seen a few mainspring winders on e-bay and some of the parts houses like Dave’s and others. The problem with e-bay is that many of the winders do not specify what sizes they will work on. The parts houses are usually very expensive. I’m trying to find a used one for less than 50.00 that will work on all the sizes of Pocket watches from size 18 down. Some of the Antique ones are less expensive but I do not know how the mainspring would be then inserted into the mainspring barrel. Any suggestions on types, name brands or style numbers that I should specifically look for?

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Here is one I have that I use on pocket watches. http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-Co-improved-Main-Spring-Winder-No-128-Watchmakers-Tool-/121765664642?hash=item1c59cc9782

I also have this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/watchCRAFT-Mainspring-winder-15mm-14mm-13mm-11mm-10mm-5-Barrel-diameter-May55MW-/181873151244?hash=item2a587c0d0c

Don’t know if you will find one under $50 unless that first one goes for less. I paid $95 for the first one and $115. Most times if they are under $50 they are missing pieces. I don’t do wrist watches so don’t need anything smaller.

hank7421
        Participant

Thanks Bernie

stevefitzwater
          Participant

Not sure if you have seen how they manually unwind a mainspring on some youtube channels, but the process in reverse is almost faster then getting my mainspring winder out and setting it up, let alone winding and installing it.

It is a very simple process, and with that said, your patience and soft touch will go miles, you do not want to put a twist into the mainspring.

Mark from the Watch Repair Channel uses one of the methods for manual mainspring removal all the time, catch one of his videos if you can, the process is just reversed, very carefully, and with deliberate action, you can wind a mainspring into a barrel in under a minute with no ill effects on the mainspring.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.