Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring winder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

I have a chance to buy either a K & D #128 winder, Watch Craft Pocket Watch winder, or a K & D #126 winder. Which do you prefer? I can see advantages/disadvantages of each. Just curious what everyone used or does it make a dimes worth of difference which one?

Also would this winder (pic’s attached) work for winding or letting down pocket watch mainsprings when out of the case?

I think I have enough tools to get started at least to see if I want to continue such as movement holders, screwdrivers, staking set, etc.

Thanks.

willofiam

Hey Bernie, I like to use the #126, I have both styles and for some reason the 126 is easier for me. If your into getting the #128 I would sell you mine at a fair price, it is complete and clean. As far as the letdown tool I have not used the one in the photo, I have a assortment of the straight single ones. I wonder if while using on the bench with the movement on a holder if the prongs sticking out would get in the way or hit the benchtop? Oh by the way I have several sets of the #126 winder also…. they are in fair to pretty good condition, I would have to dig around as I may have some letdown tools also. they are easy to make if you want to save a few bucks, I made a few in different sizes when I first started out. let me know thru email if you want. William

chris mabbott
        Participant

Hey Bernie,

I’m on the opposite pole to William, I picked up the #128 recently, had a couple of K&D before and had loads of probs getting the damn T end to stay in place upon ejection. When I used the 128 for the first time the T went straight in, and stayed, in place.

I agree with William on the winder, to me they look awkward, but I have not used one of these..

It’s actually not hard to make your own, I made mine as I needed them and I just use a collet pin vice to hold them. Actually, most of the time, as I remove winding stems anyway, I just put those in a pin vice :)

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Thanks William. E-mail sent. Would be interested in both the #128/#126 and since most of my watches are 12, 16 and 18 size it wouldn’t be hard to make a letdown tool. Hadn’t thought about using the one I posted to let down a watch on the bench with it.

Great idea Chris. I had just been using a old stem and crown. Hadn’t even thought about using a pin vise. Shhheeessshhh. 😳 I will check that out. Thanks Chris.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Bernie I made an error in my post, I meant I had a K&D hand winder that I had lots of problems with, not K&D in general, the #128 is a caddy compared to my previous POJ 😆

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Thanks Chris.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.