Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring lubrication.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kybill2011
    Participant

Another question. I meant to ask this the other day when I was asking about steam cleaning cap jewels. After you clean watch parts is it necessary to then clean them in a rinse solution or could you rinse them in denatured alcohol and dry them in a dryer? Thanks,Bill

Bob Tascione

Hey Paul,
        Get a suit and pipe like his and some fake whiskers and you just might be able to pull it off!

Hi Bill,
        I think the grease I used in the videos was Mobius because that’s pretty much all I ever use for watches. I don’t know how Slick 50 would test out for watch mainsprings but would be careful about using it before seeing some test results. Watches are much more sensitive to lubricant variations than large clocks. My very limited knowledge about lubricant properties keeps me from deviating from recommended watch lubricants based on hard test results performed by more knowledgeable people in that field. This is the main reason that I use Mobius products as many tests have been made with that product. Doesn’t mean it’s the best but rather than take a chance I go for the stuff with good proven results. You’ll find that different movement manufacturers recommend different types of oils. I usually try to follow their recommendations since oils and greases used can make a huge difference in performance. I’ve experimented with different Mobius oils a
        little and was shocked at the changes in balance amplitude a simple change could make. Sometimes just changing from one Mobius oil to another Mobius with a slightly different viscosity would change the amplitude by a several degrees! Greases are just as important if not more. Soooo, I don’t know how Slick 50 would work for a watch mainspring and would be interested to see some real test results. Until then I’m too chicken to try.
        Here’s a link to a recent thread on the forum covering watch oils that may be helpful. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=282

As for your question about using denatured alcohol as a rinse, this works well for water based cleaning solutions. If you’re using something else though I personally would stick to the recommended rinse if there is one.
        Enjoy!
        Bob

willofiam

Hi guys, :D Paul, did you get a facelift?????? looking better!!! say on the subject of customers you guys hit on things I have been thinking about lately and I would like to brainstorm some ideas along this subject, Paul can you send me your repair sheet, I use a blank job sheet and fill it in by hand but it would be better, I think, to have a check off sheet instead… I was going to make one up myself and I thought I would include some helpful hints for customers on setting up a clock, do and donts, ect….I really like the idea of some pictures also, maybe even showing parts repaired. Bob I like how you said you would polish before handing it to them, I have been wrapping the keys and pendulums in nice paper towels before giving to the customer and they always respond like its way over the top, but they like it….I do have to remember not to just talk about all the things that were wrong with their clock and had to be addressed but include positive comments…..they are usually heirloom pieces of some sort and customers are always interested in telling the story behind their clock. what a blessing it is to be the clock guy!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul, all I need now is a pipe like you have there, my corn-cob pipe just doesn’t go with the decor….. 🙄 William

kybill2011
          Participant

Thanks for the info Bob. Yes, I was talking about using L & R ultrasonic solution,then rinsing with water then denatured alcohol and drying. I would like some suggestions on which oils and grease manufacturing names and which parts to use them on. From what I see and hear you use different viscosaties (don’t think I spelled that right) on different parts of the watch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Bill

Never mind, I found a link to BHI that Bob posted earlier. Thanks anyways.

arutha
            Participant

Hi Bill, here is a quick question for you :)
              With the L&R watch rinse I didnt think you needed to then rinse the movement again, I know when I have used it on clocks(I think it was the waterless variety) that once rinsed the parts were dried and that was it. Do you need to do an extra rinse for any reason?
              Paul.

TOPIC CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE

kybill2011
              Participant

Hi Paul. Maybe I was a little confused. When looking at cleaning solutions I saw that L&R had a cleaning solution and a #3 rinse solution. After looking at them again it seems that they are basically the same. There are so many things to know about and research in the begining it’s a little overwhelming for a beginner. I’m just wanting to make sure that when I put the watch back together it is clean with no residue.

arutha
                Participant

Hi Bill,
                  I am pretty sure that the L&R rinses are designed not to leave any residue but I wouldnt stake my life on it. I know when the clock parts came out they were dried in “gritter cob” a drying medium made form corn cob which is very absorbent and would leave everything very clean. Of course you cant use this stuff on watches, this is where your drying box would come in but I would be interested to know if there is any form of residue left.
                  I know what you are saying about wanting it to be as clean as possible, I think I held my breath the whole time I put my waltham pocket watch back together :)

Bob Tascione

Hi Guys!
                    L&R products are great. When used correctly the rinse will leave no residue at all. Squeaky clean! Problems arise when the final rinse becomes slightly contaminated. If it isn’t rotated into the first rinse position as explained earlier then residue will begin to appear. Using two or more jars of rinse with the final rinse being absolutely clean will insure that almost zero residue is ever left behind.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Enjoy!
                    Bob

kybill2011
                    Participant

Okay, I’m not sure what is happening but I replied to Paul when he questioned me why I wanted to rinse twice, the following day I saw in the heading where had replied to my reply. When I clicked on the heading and scrolled down to the bottom of the disscusion I can not find Paul’s or my last post and apparently Bob also made a post that is not there either. After I submitt this post I hope I see it in the disscusion when I review it.

kybill2011
                      Participant

Okay, now I extremely really confused. This is starting to feel like the movie Ground Hog with bill Murray. After my last post I went back to review it and it was there with the other three posts but none of the other posts under the Mainspring Lubrication were there. So I got out of the disscusion and went back into it and the last 4 post were not there. I have no idea what is going on. After I submitt this post I amgoing to try it again.

kybill2011
                        Participant

Well if I don’t feel like a dummy. I thought the page is continuous but I just saw that I will go to a second page. Just not my day .

Paul and Bob, thanks four replies. I understand about the rinses now. Bill

Bob Tascione

Hey no problem Bill! :)
                            That happens all the time. Takes a little getting used to.
                            You’re welcome on the rinse info. Let us know how it goes.
                            Bob

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.