Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring cleaning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnclu
    Participant

Can you clean mainsprings in the ultrasonic or do they have to be cleaned by hand and if so what is the best cleaner for them? John

johnclu
      Participant

Just went back over the videos and yes you can clean the springs in the ultrasonic with the same cleaner as for the other parts. Woops, John

timsebrell
        Participant

Hey guys, I’d like to chime in on this conversation. So I cleaned a couple of springs in an ultrasonic cleaner and the solution turned black from dirt. So then I had to change it for the movement parts. So I’m wondering can you leave the spring on a ollie baker type winder and stretch it out and clean it by hand. Does this harm the spring in any way?

Anonymous

Hello Timsebrell,
            Yes for sure you can. That is the same procedure I use. You just need to take care not to force open the most inner coils because that can alter their shape and damage the integrity of the spring. I wipe it clean with a lint free rag soaked in kerosene. I sometimes run it through the ultrasonic afterwards to complete the cleaning process without contaminating my solution. Another way I have done it is to soak the spring in a pan of older cleaning solution then move it to a second pan of used solution then on to the ultrasonic. Both ways work well for me.
            Hope this helps, Dan

timsebrell
            Participant

Hey Clocks R Me, Thanks for the tip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.