Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring barrel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Quick question and I dont have a picture right now but will upload one. I have an AS 1580 movement that im working on and the mainspring barrel does not have any cut out to insert a screwdriver or tweezers in order to remove the cap. How would i remove the cap so that I can get to the mainspring to remove it?

Thanks

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I either use a hammer with a plastic end or I will bang it down on a piece of wood on the bench all the time holding the palm of my hand over the cap so it doesn’t fly off and spring pop out.

chaplin37
        Participant

Thank you so much, that was what i was going to attempt to do, but just wanted to check with someone on the forum. I appreciate the help.

arutha
          Participant

This is also a method I use but it is possible to increase the end shake of the barrel arbor using this method if the cap is very tight, if when you put it back together you find the end shake has increased just pop the cap off again and flatten it out a touch before re-fitting it.
            Paul.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Paul made a great point I forgot about. If you have to much end shake I just lay it on a block of wood and hit it with a rubber or wood mallet.

david pierce
              Participant

Bob shows how to safely remove the cap in his repair video. I found that you can also warp them putting them back together. I solved the problem by using a watch crystal press with the flat nylon dies.
                david

arutha
                Participant

Hi David,
                  did you have to do anything to the crystal press before using it to close the barrel lids as I would have thought the barrel arbor would have caused a problem?
                  Paul.

tmac1956
                  Participant

Paul:

I know this was intended for David, but I have used this tool to close mainspring barrels as well. I just select the die that you use for the bezel for the top and bottom, which are dished out allowing clearance for the mainspring arbor.

David probably does something that makes more sense than what I’m doing. I’ve seen the mainspring closing tools, but they are so pricey for being cheap looking plastic that I just wanted to use what I had and save the money. I did buy several additional die sets, so I have duplicates dies.

Anyway, that is what I do…

Thanks!
                    Tom

david pierce
                    Participant

Paul, Tom,
                      As long as the die has a clearance hole the arbor doesn’t bump anything. I use a flat nylon die for this. I warped a few caps in the past using other methods and this solved the problem for me. The press I use is the inexpensive ($12.00) press from Harbor Freight. It works great.
                      david

arutha
                      Participant

Thanks Tom and David :)
                        Once I start on watches again I will look into getting one just for this job :)
                        Paul.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.