Home Forums General Discussion Forum Mainspring and chime movements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

🙄 Is there a way to tell the difference between the main timing spring and chiming spring when out of the movement–the gearing wheels :?:

arutha
      Participant

Hi Peggy,
        The chime spring is usualy but not always bigger/stronger than the time spring. If you are talking about a striking clock then the strike spring is quite often the same size as the time spring.
        Paul.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Paul is right and I am also assuming you are talking about a time and strike. You can generally measure the strength/thickness of the spring and a lot of times they are the same. If you are talking a modern clock normally the chime spring is stronger than the time.

peggy332014
          Participant

Ok, I didn’t know if there was a visible difference with the wheels themselves. Ya, I was talking about the time and strike, the two big wind springs like in the Seth Thomas Bob shows in the 2nd clock video. Can they be interchangeable? Or is the gearing different?

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I don’t think they are interchangeable. If I remember one winds one way and the other the opposite. I think the tooth count is the same but don’t quote me but it is the way they wind that will get ya. I always mark them with a small mark that most times only I can see so I know which goes where. I use a 8″ X 12″ piece of styrofoam, seperate the wheels on each side of it so I can keep the strike and time separate. After doing any repairs needed, burnishing and polishing each wheel I wire each side together to put in the ultrasonic to clean always keeping them separate.

peggy332014
              Participant

Ok! Thanks Bernie! That makes sense, and a good idea! :D :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.