Home Forums General Discussion Forum Main Spring on a Korean Wall Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larrysnyder
    Participant

I am working on a Korean wall clock, and the arbor keeps slipping through the Great Wheel on the Strike Side, causing the mainspring to unwind. Should the arbor slip through this Great Wheel so easily? What can be done to keep it from doing that? I am relatively new to clock repair, so please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

drichards
      Participant

Hello Larry, I don’t think the arbor should slip at all. The click should keep the arbor from turning independent of the clock wheel except when winding at all times. Have you checked that the click is engaging the ratchet wheel?

Dean

larrysnyder
        Participant

Yes, the click is engaging the ratchet wheel, but the arbor continues to sleep through the clock wheel, worse when the mainspring is wound. When it lets loose, it can cause quite a mess. The only thing I know to do at this point is try to find something similar in a used movement on ebay or something. Thanks for your reply. Larry Snyder.

drichards
          Participant

I understand now Larry.
            I don’t have a Korean movement on hand to examine and don’t remember how the arbor is fastened to the wheel and click wheel. I’ve been a watchmaker for many years but haven’t done much with clocks for a long time. I would probably try to figure out how it’s held fast to the click wheel and then see if there is some way to tighten it up. The arbor shouldn’t slip in the click wheel. You’ve most likely already done that though.

Dean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.