Home Forums General Discussion Forum main spring kicking my butt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kurtflys
    Participant

I have working on getting a new spring into he barrel , I am able to get it in but , I can out seam to get arber to hook onto the spring . Any help would be great . :mrgreen:

Bob Tascione

Hi Kurtflys,

If the spring forming technique that we discused in our email exchange the other day didn’t do the trick then the next thing to check would be the arbor hook itself. I’m not sure what type of watch you are working on but if the arbor has a standard hook then make sure that it has enough material to actually hook and hold the mainspring in place. Hooks sometimes become worn, bent, or filed down and may just begin to catch the spring and then pop off as soon as the arbor is turned a little. If the arbor looks good then it’s a matter of forming the inner coil of the mainspring so that the hole in the mainspring presses against the arbor when unwound. If the arbor hook needs to “reach” for the mainsping hole then it’s possible that it won’t latch onto and hold the spring. Often times the spring has been formed incorrectly so minor adjustments will be necessary. Spring shaping can be tricky at first. Things appear to move opposite to what you would expect! It’s a little like trying to back a car up for the first time while looking in the rear view mirror. If you make a couple of wrong bends it can be difficult to correct your mistakes. If possible make some practice bends with an older mainspring on the bench to get a feel for it. After a while it will begin to make sense.
        Hope this helps and maybe others have some tips they can pass along,

Have fun Kurtflys!
        Bob

kurtflys
        Participant

Thank you, Bob, I will look at it again . Was about to start buy tools and it looks like I am going to be layed off from my job , So this is going to be a set back for me . I am still going to keep on reading because it does not cost anything but I will not be able to buy the tools I need to make the proper repairs . I have real enjoyed the videos and hope to more soon .

Bob Tascione

I’m very sorry to hear about your pending layoff kurtflys. I heard from another member yesterday who also has just been layed off. Down here in Mexico we keep hearing how the U.S. economy is improving and is in “recovery” mode. But having received email after email from members and other friends who are either facing layoffs or are in the midst of one I have to wonder if this “recovery” is a general recovery or just industry specific. Aside from the stock and precious metals markets it sure doesn’t appear to be helping the little guy much. I’m probably wrong but being detached from the U.S. right now, emails and personal reports are what I have to go on. …and from this end of the email box it sure doesn’t appear to be a broad spectrum recovery.

I hope things turn around for you kurtflys and for all other members being affected by hard times.
            Wishing for better times ahead,

Bob

clam71
            Participant

@kurtflys:
              Sorry about your sitch. Economy sucks. Recession is when your neighbors loose their jobs
              Depression is when you loose yours. Praying for you, Dude !
              I’ve cleaned my kitchen thouroughly, inspected each dustpan of dirt.
              Damn if I can’t find the mainspring barrel part that broke the sound barrier as it shot off
              the rest of the assembly of my size 16 Waltham when I took it apart !!!
              School of hard knocks hits me again !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.