Home Forums General Discussion Forum magnifyers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hello folks, I just wrote a long post and it got deleted, So, a short form. I am thinking of buying a Donegan Optivisor LX, since nothing else has worked well. Is this product any good, If not, what is better? what degree of magnification do i need: for ordinary use: 2.5x 3x? how about for hairsprings, 7x? more? what do you folks use who must wear glasses. I am thinking of getting 2 so i won’t have to change visors. Would appreciate any and all opinions………..thanks, take care………….b

willofiam

Hey b I bought a optivisor for $17.00 several months ago on e bay, came with 4 lenses, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5. for the clocks I use the 2.5, I am getting into the pocket watch now and I think I am going to use a loop with a spring headband and a 10x power :geek: See yah, William

jim1228
        Participant

Hello Watchthebear,

I tried using an optivisor but by personal opinion is there bulky and tend to get in my way, but that’s just me. It might work for you. ;) I wear readers myself and what I use is a clip on for my glasses. This way I can just leave my glasses on. You can get these from Timesavers for a very low price. They usually sell them with a low quality loupe, however I replace them with my own. When working on watches I normally stay with a 5X but for hairspring work I will change to a 10X. I would recommend purchasing a 5X, 7X, and 10X bausch & lomb eye loupes they are worth every penny.
          I wish you well. :)

Jim

watchthebear
          Participant

Hello folks, thanks William for your take on the Optivisor. Jim, are you referring to the loupe that has the squeeze clip that attaches to the frames of your glasses? I have seen them w/ loupes and w/ lenses. Have you tried the lenses? Also, is there some way to determine the focal length of the loupes when attached right up against the lens of your glasses? This is all a bit confusing for me, but I am at a stand still ’til I can get some magnification. I looked up these devices on Timesavers, but I need a little more info. Thanks again to you both for the help. take care all………………b

jim1228
            Participant

Hi Watchthebear,
              Yes the one that clips to the frame of your glasses. I never used the lens type because I find that eye loupes are more versatile. Meaning you can use them just stand alone without the clip on. I think the easiest way to determine this is to buy a couple of the clipon’s , being that they are so affordable and try them for yourself. I think you will be amazed. I really hoped this helped.
              I wish you well. :P

Jim

david pierce
              Participant

Watchbear,
                Ordinary drugstore reading glasses work great, are not bulky, and are relatively inexpensive.
                David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.