Home Forums General Discussion Forum Machining question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Tom,
      Did the finished part come out the way you wanted?
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

David/Bob:

The part came out great! I had a little trouble dialing it in but with david’s advise and some patience I finally got center. Based on Bob’s suggestion I was able to clamp the sphere on the flats of the existing hole – shiming up under the shaft. This enabled me to pull my parallels back out of the way. Just to be safe, I placed another piece of key stock between my vise and the drill bit. I don’t have much luck with the manual stop and I usually forget to set the thing before I get things set up anyway.

So… here are some pics of my “work…”. It’s the poor man’s timing machine that I’ve been playing with.

I think I need to put a little divot in the BigBen crystal that I’m using – probably need a small diamond drill.

Thanks everyone!
        Tom

Bob Tascione

Now that is Cool Tom!
          Beautiful tool you made there. Looks better than anything you could buy off the material house shelf!
          Can you tell us what that part you machined was originally?
          Thanks for posting those pics,
          And Happy Easter,
          Bob

tmac1956
          Participant

Bob:

Thanks for the complement. However, its probably not deserved. This is a cheapy loupe holder that I got from eBay. All I did was to rig it so that the holding part would allow me to hold a pair of tweezers. I got the idea from one of the watch repair books that I have. Here’s the link where I found the part…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200860553309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Again… thanks for all of the advise.

Later,
            Tom

P.s. Happy Easter everyone.

david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              That looks great. If you decide to get the MUMFORD OPTICAL TIMER at a later date your fixture should work with it. If you decide to make a microscope stand in the future, use the same concept. It will be larger but the idea will be the same. By the way, how do you like your angle lock vice? It sure makes it nice for that kind of work. I am sure that your mill also performed beautifully. With good equipment, knowledge, and some effort, good things can be accomplished.
              Great work,
              david

tmac1956
              Participant

David:

That mill was a really good investment. It will certainly do more than I could ever ask from it.

Thanks!
                Tom

demewill
                Participant

Nice modification to create a new tool. In my book,there is really nothing that compares to using a tool that you have made for yourself.

I have a suggestion for alternate construction that will allow someone without a mill to make this tool as well. With a hack saw, cut the narrow diameter section of the clamp piece in or near the middle. Make a small sleeve or collar with a set screw near each end of the sleeve. Reassemble turning the slotted end of the original piece 90 degrees and tighten the set screws. If this is a “common” diameter, it may be possible to purchase the sleeve.

Dan

tmac1956
                  Participant

Dan:

That’s a good solution.

Thanks!
                    Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.