Home Forums General Discussion Forum Machine Shop Tools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Take a look at Ebay item #221234284819 which is a Rolex opener. This tool would be very easy to make with a small milling machine and a small amount of material. It is up for sale for $5800.00 used. The cost saving on making just this one item would more than cover the expense of a small basic machine shop.
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

David:

THere’s a Platax balance staff remover up on eBay. It’ll be interesting to see what this one goes for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380903796981?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know Bergeon makes a simpler one for a few hundred dollars which I might be able to afford.

Later,
        Tom

david pierce
        Participant

Tom,
          I am looking at one on my desk and the lettering on the tool says Bergeon Platax No. 2677. It is the same tool. There are 18 bids on the item and it still has 4+ days to go on the auction. I am sure that the final sale will not be close to the current bid of $68.00. The general problem with buying these used is the slots on the rotating plate are often cracked out due to people hammering out wheels and collars. This is not the intended purpose of the slots. The plate a provides holes for this but most of the used Platax tools have been misused and broken. Cousins UK sells new plates for about $250.00 but in the end you would come out ahead to buy one of these new and unused.

tmac1956
          Participant
            david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              Whenever the seller is SWISSWATCHTOOL, run for cover and lock your Paypal card in a safe. That tool would be a good deal at $50.00 but at $188.00 it is too expensive. Also, that tool is for removing collers only. The Platax tool does that and can also remove balance staffs from a balance wheel. I bought a new Platax tool a while back from Lancaster tool supply and it cost less than $500.00 brand new. This included all of the accessories. I also bought 4 more used ones but they were very inexpensive. I plan to fix them and resell them in the future but at the moment I do not have time to do anything. Make sure you see Mark Lovick using one on the Watch Repair Channel (Youtube).
              david

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.