• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Paul I have always wondered that to. I do use a light weight oil on watches but have always used heavier on clocks. I tried a experiment on my own clocks about 8 or 9 yrs ago. I tried 5w mobile one on one clock, 10w on another, 20w on another and 30w on the 4th. Last year I tore them down for no particular reason but to see how the oil had held up. Oh and all were still running after 8 or 9 yrs. All pivots were still wet and looking at the pivots under a microscope could see no decernible wear. None required bushings. So my conclusion was I don’t think it makes a dimes worth of difference if it is 5w or 30w they will work. I think part of it is being in a controlled environment and temperature controlled. I know there are some out there that think I am nuts for using auto oil instead of clock oil but hey it works for me. The gentleman I apprenticed under said if it doesn’t harm the clock no foul. :D

mahlon
      Participant

Paul,I think I will tare down the trade mark clock that, I mentioned using wd40 20 years ago on, here in the next few days. I’ll try to get some good pics. Mahlon

arutha
        Participant

Bernie,
          I think if you were using a thick oil and lived in a colder climate it might cause issues otherwise if it works and does no harm then where is the problem.

Mahlon, I look forward to seeing any pictures and if it has caused any problems.

All very interesting stuff :)

bernie weishapl
          Participant

I understand about the colder climate but was thinking about clocks hanging like in my house. I realize some keep it colder than others but we keep our house thru the winter about 70 or so and in the summer about 76 or so. Must be my old age. I hate really cold and really hot heat. 😆 My shop is also kept between 66 deg and 78 deg.

Mahlon that will be interesting to see what you find.

chris mabbott
            Participant

You’re raising some thought provoking points guys, especially when it comes to climate, as Bernie mentions, and I’m in agreement with him, but not about age related coldness, I was freezing in Canada all my life and had the heating on 75-80f, until I installed my gas fire 😆

But for clocks, unless they were outside, indoor models wouldn’t be effected by the cold, but heat would cause the lube to become thin and migrate. Engine oils are designed to provide a film in extreme heat, so I can see why they would adhere better, makes perfect sense.
              Whereas clocks remain at a relatively constant state of temperature, a watch’s environment undergoes constant change, from pocket/wrist, next to skin, to then being exposed to ambient, to and forth all day long.

Which made me think about humid climates, the UK especially is very humid, all the time, how would a lube combat this issue and what prevents the verdigris forming on the gears,plates etc, or even steel pinions from rusting as lube dries up? Do you guys use any treatment during service to retard the green mould/verdigris process?

arutha
              Participant

I think again it is down to environment. You dont tend to get verdigris on brass unless it is left out in the cold and damp. I know not everyone agrees with it but polishing a movement correctly has a burnishing effect giving the brass a better level of protection. Its funny how people take issue with a polished clock movement but if you were to give a customer back a less than spotless watch movement they wouldn’t be very happy.
                Paul.

chris mabbott
                Participant

I agree with that Paul, I think some people get hung up on dirty = more antique or it’s the dirt from history 😆
                  Nothing looks finer than polished up brass on anything.

There is this same topic on most collection sites, same with medals, you get guys who think the patina (dirt) has historic value. A retired soldier, like my grandfather, would still dutifully pull out his medals and polish them with brasso and silvo even when he was 84 LOL He would not be happy, like most old vets, to think of his awards getting black and tarnished :?

mahlon
                  Participant

When it comes to antiques, the buyer uses the, fact that it has been refinished to beat the price down. Most antiques I have restored have been stored in barns, basements and chicken houses. No one is going to put that in there home. The only pieces that I would not restore are museum quality pieces and worth saving the patina. I always tell people, when it yours it’s junk, but when its mine it is a fine antique. :D Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Around here if it is a family heirloom they must agree and sign the work order for me to restore the case, dial, etc. I don’t mind cleaning a clock case but don’t want to harm the age petina of it. I won’t change a paper dial unless they expressly want it changed. I have a Ingraham clock that the dial is dark but it also still has the little lid and cloth that they would put kerosene in. The thought was the kerosene would evaporate and leave the oil on the clock. It also had a feather in the bottom that the lady told me her father used to take the dial off and use the feather to put kerosene on the pivots and springs. I won’t ever change it just because of the story. Just kinda cool.

peggy332014
                      Participant

Here’s a funny one! We know an elderly man that said he sprayed wd40 on his joints so he could move better! 😆 😆 😆 :D

mahlon
                        Participant

I agree with you Bernie. Most of the clocks that I have come in for servicing are clocks that have been purchased at auction or estate sales. I always give the customer the option of complete restoration, or repair. As for my personal clocks I refinish and restore them. I have a Gilbert kitchen clock that I purchased. In side the case I found a hand written letter telling the complete history of the clock. Those things I replace in the clock after they have been restored, as well as a note showing when and where it was restored. I personally restore all my antiques unless they have been very well cared for by the previous owner. The problem with old finishes is that they are the color they are because of that finish. What people call patina is dirt and oil collected in the finish. Shellac being the worst. When it gets hot( no air conditioning) it softens and dust as well as the oils from peoples skin touching it collects in the finish. We all know people who have to rub a neat old clock or piece of furniture. But as a restorer I am pretty good at replacing the finish and giving it the color tone. What I have found is that when people talk about patina they are actually talking about the color. These are just my personal views and are not intended to sway any one either way ;) Mahlon

chris mabbott
                          Participant

Very good points guys, and Bernie you are 100% correct, as a business, all bases have to be covered, sign this please, then it all becomes clear, no arguments.

Patina and age finish are very personal and each individual has their own preference, so really the point is moot. On some forums this has been going back and forth for a long time, one thread dealing with it grew to 140 pages and 1000 comments, in the end, it was a draw 😆

Peggy, I’m not surprised as I’ve heard people talking about spraying WD40 on their kitchen counter tops, it’s nice and shiny you know 😆

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

I agree totally with you Mahlon. Most of mine get the case cleaned at minimum if the prior owner has kept it up. On cases on my clocks I will strip it down, stain if needed, and always finish with shellac like it came out of the factory. I don’t like using the newer poly’s, etc. I like to go back to what the clock originally had. If it has the paper on it yet that give the model, instructions, etc. I will mix white glue and water 50/50 and paint it. Most are starting to crumple and peel off the case. This will preserve it on there.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.