Home Forums General Discussion Forum L&R watch cleaners (rebuild)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    watchdogg
    Participant

I only know how to use the old L&R watch cleaners. The shop I’m working in have 2,you know, the one’s with the 3 mason jars and the heater… I can’t seem to find one that I can afford so I was wondering if there is a place I could ship it to , to have it rebuilt?
      The shop I’m in has the ultrasonic machines, I have never used them and I don’t know anything about them?
      I was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions?
      Thank You, Watchdogg 🙄

david pierce
      Participant

Watchdog,
        Harbor Freight sells ultrasonic cleaning machines at a very low price. The one I use is small, costs about $25.00 and is perfect for watch parts. After a little experimentation I ended up using straight Naptha that I can buy by the gallon from Home Depot. When the parts are clean I lay them out on a paper towel and let them air dry. I have even used it to clean the balance assembly (staff, balance wheel and hairspring) and it did a great job on that too.
        David Pierce

watchdogg
        Participant

David , thanks for the ideal
          Phil

willofiam

here is a place that will work on your machine, http://www.timemachinerepair.com/index.html I have not talked with them myself, Also Daves watch parts has some parts for cleaning machines, here is a link to the l and r machine wiring, http://www.daveswatchparts.com/images/LRMaster.jpg, have fun, William

c.kelly
            Participant

Hi all.
              I would like to thank David for his tip as well. I have been cleaning parts by hand because the machines I saw were too bulky and expensive. Checked Harbor Freight and sure enough they had small ultrasonic cleaning machines, however price was about 39.00. Not bad but checking other places I found similar items for about $29.00 shipping included. Should be perfect for watches.
              Thanks,
              Charles

david pierce
              Participant

Watchdog,
                Always match your tool to the job and don’t worry about designer labels. The large machines are good for large parts and/or large quantities. If you are doing small parts in small quantities the small machine will do the job for you. Anything else is superfluous. The large machine does not clean parts better than the small machine. If you look at the shop pictures for Randy’s shop you will see one of these machines on the right side of his workbench. I usually buy stuff on sale, especially from Harbor Freight, but, if you need the item now you may have to pay a higher price for it. Occasionally you will find that you need a top of the line item for certain things such as Dumont #5 tweezers but, all of your tweezers do not have to be Dumont. I like Bergeon screwdrivers, however, you can buy a knockoff set with a revolving stand for about $30.00 from places like Finding King. These screwdrivers are very good. Bausch & Lomb loupes are as good as you will need for watch repair. You do not need to spend several hundred dollars for a Swiss made loupe. Get what you need to do the job properly and always keep in mind the basic function of the tool. A screwdriver will either remove the screw or it won’t. Tweezers will either pick up small items or they won’t. The more movements you take apart and put back together, the more you will realize that this is true.
                David Pierce

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.