• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    larry cook
    Participant

I have a cuckoo clock that I want to repair. Being new I do not have all the tools to open or remove every clip. I have run into the clip in the attached photo. I nee a tool that will allow me to remove it. I can not find a thing that works. I am sure you all will be able to help.
      Thanks…..Larry….. :)

willofiam

Hey Larry, those things are buggers. I have not found a specific tool for them and hope someone has and responds. What I do is make sure the plate is supported near that particular area then using a small hammer hit the end of the lever arbor on that clip side, also making sure the lever on the other side is free from anything else. There are times I can “knock” it right off, other times it will move the clip just enough so I can insert a flat screwdriver between the prongs (I have one I use that is just the right size) it will spread it just enough to “knock” it off easily. As for putting them back on I set the clip on the end of the arbor and use a stake with a hole to drive it to its spot, use caution so as to not drive it too tight. Best way I have come across to do these. Funny you posted this, I just worked on one the other day, Have fun. William

stevefitzwater
        Participant

I am wondering if a snap ring pliers would work on that, I did a google search and then images, not sure if this link will work, but these are examples,

https://www.google.com/search?q=snap+rings&biw=1536&bih=764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ltGOVZvJAoWlgwTjlI0w&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=snap+ring+pliers

willofiam

Hey Steve, the 2 styles of snap ring pliers I have tried do not work, biggest problem is having the nose or tips close enough together to get in there for a good enough grip to hold it open, though I have not taken the time to look for any other styles I have also thought of modifying something. William

larry cook
            Participant

Thank you very much for the responses. I did look at snap ring pliers and the studs were juuuust not close enough. Thank you for the link to the pliers. I believe I will give William’s advise a try and if I am unsuccessful I’ll try to modify a tool. I will let you know what finally worked. Time is not really an issue as this clock is in the family. Thanks for your help…Larry

stevefitzwater
              Participant

Hmm, I would modify the snap ring pliers.. but the scale is a unknown for me, so good luck and most of all.. Have fun..

Hey Will, will be up your way Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday… will see how the days go, I might call and drop in for a bit..

bernie weishapl
                Participant

I use snap ring pliers on those. I can’t remember where I got mine but it was a mini set. It was either Harbour Freight or Sears but they work slick.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.