Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lighting…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

If you have the last issue of the NAWCC Watch and Clock magazine there is a short piece describing the shop of a gentleman named Steven Nelson. Aside from being a very nice setup with a lot of nice tools, he describes using LED photo flood lighting for his main work bench and how it provides a brilliant white light with little to no heat. The picture on page 199 shows what these look like.

Because of my poor vision I really need something like this. So, I fired up eBay and as usual found plenty to choose from. However, I really don’t know much about photographic lighting and I can’t afford to buy the wrong thing. I know that many of you here have some background in this, so I could use your advice.

Thanks!
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

Hi Tom,
        I cant give any advice on LED lighting as I have never seen or used it. I dont know how the price of it compares to this triple tube lamp – https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/lamps/lighting-daylight-lamps#select But my friend Daryn has this and it throws out a lot of strong light. Because of the diffuser you don’t get any shadows. As soon as I have the spare cash I will be buying one. I have put up with cheap bench spotlights for long enough, my eyes are starting to get the hump with me :(

tmac1956
        Participant

Arutha:

All three of my lamps use three florescent bulbs so I wonder if I could just swap out to the daylight bulbs?

Thanks for the link!
          Tom

willofiam

Hey Tom, may be worth a visit to the local lighting store and ask about the different spectrum’s of light the florescents give off, I recently changed a bunch of them in the shop with a day light color and it makes a huge difference, much brighter and alot cheaper than the LED stuff, for now anyway. William

arutha
            Participant

Tom, the daylight bulbs make a BIG difference, William has to sit in the dark so he doesn’t scare the children but once they are all asleep and he turns the lights on it is just like daytime in his shop. If you are going to listen to anyone it should be William, the guy lives in a castle and you need some pretty good lighting for that massive workshop :)
              Paul.

tmac1956
              Participant

William:

Could you give me a brand name to look for?

Thanks!
                Tom

willofiam

@tmac1956 wrote:

Could you give me a brand name to look for?

No, but the color temperature I ended up with is 5000K in a T-8 florescent with 2850 lumens. Tom, go to the lighting store, they should even have displays with the different bulbs and you can get a good idea of what is best for you (you have to like it), may even have the LEDs on display. William

tmac1956
                  Participant

William:

That should be enough info for me to run it down. (5000K in a T-8 florescent with 2850 lumens).

Thanks!
                    Tom

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Paul, thanks for the link, I’ve been looking for one of these from someone that actually ships to my GPS location.. Let there be light 8-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.