Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lever set pocketwatches (for dummies like me)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bob Tascione

Congratulations John!
      It’s been a fun thread. Covered lots of stuff in this one and I’ve really enjoyed it.

Keep having fun,
      Bob

clam71
      Participant

My post here March 25 about the numbers on the balance wheel:
        Bob, You’re the man !
        Just finished re-assembling a size 18 vintage 1886 . Still needs a staff replacement. Ohhhh… deeper than I’ve ever been !
        anyway, I re-checked those numbers. The movement is # 3270968 and on the balance is 3270..and on the other side..968 !!
        Awesome ! How did I miss this ? I bought 2 staffs on ebay I hope are the right ones.
        The condition of this thing is astounding. The balance spring shines emerald blue still. The dial is completely free
        of hairlines, but… Being a lever set, someone chipped the dial . After cleaning, the gears move with a light breeze!
        It has a good mainspring but thick ! Think I’m gonna get another #2203 new one . My other movement runs SO fine
        with that spring. Easy to wind and lasts a long time on a wind. I’m looking at it now (3949617) and it’s been running
        15 hours so far on the wind and has lost 15 seconds since I last set it over 28 hours ago ! I’m blown away !!
        The thick spring in this 1886 movement ain’t gonna last half as much. Unnecessary overload with torque.
        Also, the lower balance jewell looks brand new ! …Which brings me to a question for the master…Or anyone else..
        If the new OEM staff is the proper one will it seat into the jewell more or less perfectly ?
        Or did the old timers use some sort of lapping compound ? I’d be afraid to go there !

Hey, you guys/gals on this forum… Ya really need to post more with your horological endeavors !
        Shoutout out to Caz

Bob Tascione

Hi John,
          Staff pivot sizes for these watches can vary slightly but will usually fit well into the jewel. This isn’t always the case though. Sometimes a small amount of pivot material will need to be removed. For this reason it’s a good idea to order more than one staff at a time when possible. You can then check the fit of each staff and choose the best one before staking it to the balance. You may also find that staffs with slightly undersized or oversized pivots are available when ordering.
          Hope this helps
          Enjoy John,

Bob

clam71
          Participant

Not, Bob. The staffs were likely for a size 16. I could use them if that’s the case.
            Gotta tell ya, The #2203(?) milder mainspring I put in my 1888 18s is astounding !
            Friggin 40 hours on a wind !!!!! I’m doing up an 1886 of the same flavor and it’s spring is HEAVY !
            Gonna get another 2203 for the 1886.
            Have an 18s case that the crown’s knurels are worn smooth !
            Tough winds on a beefy spring.
            This movement’s keeping PERFECT time now ! Lubed with Marvel Mystery Oil !
            Not temp-sensitive anymore. In warm pocket or out, it’s rock solid.
            Got my crude machine polishing the crystal with cerium oxide powder now.
            Gonna run over night.
            I wore this watch to work and have it in the pocket even bedtime overnight mant times.
            It’s being used as it was intended to.
            A+ passing the test ! 123 years old . Google just had a new look . Charlie Chaplin’s 122 year B-day.
            My watch has him beat by a year ! Fathom that !!!

clam71
            Participant

Don’t know if I mentioned this recent snag before but I’m the proud owner of an 1885
              lever set 18S which I put into a case from ebay. So many things to say…
              It was encased in crud when recieved. I knew that when bidding.
              Likely spent many years in a barn or detached garage. It’s 126 years old.
              A major cleaning issue. THAT’S when the lathe would help.
              It really needs moving points polished but “running-in is it’s polish.
              But I don’t have one yet. After cleaning in US bath, pinions, pivots
              and stuff showed corrosion. This led to many problems.

1 Hairspring has lost some blueing and has surface rust on spots.
              2 After cleaning, hands fit very loose. Oxidation of used to be metal.
              Hairspring is a big issue because the watch looses time when set to max.
              I “rigged” it temporarily by removing a small weight in the balance.
              Oh, well, then..keeps perfect time except when laid on it’s back !
              It runs fast then. Short of it.. need to put that little screw/ weight thing
              Need to play with the hairspring terminating contraption.
              Gotta pull the hairspring in a tiny bit.

A guy at work saw it and asked ” Geeze ! How old is it. And what’s it worth ?
              I replied that after making it the best it can be it might fetch $125.
              He was shocked ! But we all know, that’s the market, so far.
              Some can fetch thousands and most can’t. Not what I do this for.
              Rescuing old relics is my goal. Just won an ebay thing.. 1883 keywind
              18S Waltham ! 20 bux including shipping .
              Happy holidays to all !!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.