Home Forums Parts & Tool Suppliers & Other Helpful Resources Lathe purchase. Which one and what accessories/components?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    StephenGoguen
    Participant

I’m looking at purchasing a lathe and associated components.

What would be suggested,  I would like to purchase a lathe/system that has readily available components.  This pretty much eliminates buying off ebay as the lathes are usually missing just about everything.  Older lathes might be difficult acquiring the other components.

I have been looking at sherline products.  They have 8″ and 17″ lathes.  What is recommended?  What accessories would also be required?  They have three different packages available.  Which would be worth having? Or, are the package deals worthless for clock repair? Are zero adjustable wheels worth having?  So many questions and no one to ask first hand.

Any assistance is appreciated.

SG

RandyBeamer
      Participant

Stephen,

I think much of this falls into what you want to do with it.

Just clock repair,..or watches as well ? What’s your budget,..etc.

If you are working on clocks…a 17 inch bed would probably give you more options.

I’ve also seen some of the newer “Asian ” variants of “watchmaking” lathes and some folks seem to have good luck with them overall.

Sherline makes some nice one’s for sure.

Randy

RandyBeamer
        Participant

I just ran across a pretty good video of a clock repair shop…..going over the Sherline 8″ lathe and accessories.

Maybe this will help you to make some decisions as to what you need.

Randy

StephenGoguen
          Participant

Thanks for the info Randy.  I have seen the Asian built lathes for sale on ebay.  I don’t see however, many options/accessories for them.  I am leaning towards the Sherline products as they have a ton of accessories.  Their milling columns have accessories to bush clocks as well.  Which eliminates the $1100 plus bushing machine (Bergeon) for a fraction of the cost and it is capable of other functions.  Going from an 8″ to an 17″ isn’t much of a stretch for the wallet.

RandyBeamer
            Participant

You’re very welcome.

I think you will be very happy with Sherline , as they do offer many options.

Have fun !

Randy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.