Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe practice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

Chris, to determine the angle, I took the diameter of the largest cutting edge of the smaller reamer and made the smallest cutting edge of the new reamer a few 1000s smaller. Then made the largest edge few 1000s under the diameter of the smallest edge of the next size reamer. I put a small bevel at the point and ran the angle back to the largest diameter, stopping about 1/8″ short of the end of the cutting edge. Then file the flat down to halfway point. As far as the steel goes, I just used a piece of 3/16 round steel that I had laying around the shop. I still have to harden it though. I am getting into an area that I don’t know a lot about. After all I am but a lowly carpenter :( Mahlon

mahlon
      Participant

I don’t know if anybody wants it, but here is the gig that I used to cut the flat on the reamer. Also my work bench(my wife made me quit using her dinning room table) :( :( :( Mahlon

arutha
        Participant

Its all far too tidy Mahlon, are you sure your not one of these squeeky clean watch guys? ;)

mahlon
          Participant

Okay Paul, you asked for it. I’m sure you have heard the old saying that cleanliness is next to Godliness, well they were talking about someone else’s shop. This is where the work is done. believe it or not I know where every thing is in this shop. I made a deal with my wife years ago, that if I don’t check in every hour, she sends in the search and rescue team. I restore any where from 150-300 pieces of furniture a year. I am hoping in the near future to take the front half of the shop(not pictured, to messy) and make a nice clean clock shop. As it is when I do have time to work on a clock, I have to clean of one my tables, set up my ultrasonic, do the repairs, clean it and take it back in the house to reassemble. I am hoping to get to the point that I can just do clocks. My wife calls it a hobby, but my hobby made me an extra 1500.00 so far this year. She just made a drawer full of doilies :D Mahlon

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Hey Mahlon I like my shop to look like it worked in. 😆 😆 Looks like my woodshop. I turn wood, refinish furniture and if time permits or Maw says do it I build furniture. My wood shop hasn’t been cleaned since the day I started. I know exactly where everything is at (most of the time) 🙄 so the wife is not allowed in there unless she is refinishing something.

I saved that picture and will definitely make one. Thanks Mahlon.

arutha
              Participant

Now that is a workshop! maybe you could do a write up on a clock case restoration like Chris has done for his motor?
                Thanks for posting that, its beautiful :)
                Paul.

chris mabbott
                Participant

I’d like to thank you gentlemen for posting these photographs and making me feel better about my slovenly behavior and constant disorganization in my own danger zone, it’s nice to know that I am not alone, obviously I’ve been comparing myself to Williams Uber clean machinenwerks, which is impossible for me to follow, so it just made me feel bad 😆

William you have to give me the phone numbers of your cleaning staff ;)

Thanks for the info Mahlon, I’m going to try this one day. Hey what do you mean “lowly carpenter” ?? All the carpenters I’ve ever met have charged me a fortune for the work I can’t do 😆

Bob Tascione

I think it would be fun working in that shop. I wouldn’t know what I was doing but I’m sure it would be a blast!
                    Thanks for posting the pics Mahlon,
                    Bob

willofiam

Hey Mahlon, nice shop, I see a beautiful clock shop hidden in there. William

mahlon
                      Participant

William, my wife said to tell you that you are in serious need of glasses. She went on to say that, and I quote “William sees a beautiful clock shop hidden in there and she can’t even find the lamp table she brought out there two days ago” I thought she was joking, but I can’t find it either :? :? Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

LOL that is funny Mahlon.

david pierce
                          Participant

Whoops!
                            For a minute there I thought someone photographed the inside of my house and posted it on the forum.
                            david

willofiam

That is funny
                              @david pierce wrote:

Whoops!
                              For a minute there I thought someone photographed the inside of my house and posted it on the forum.

But I didnt see any speedos

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.