Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe Jigs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Has anyone built a jig for holding gears, spacers in a lathe for polishing, specifically the winding gears, I have a set with …. not sure what it is, looks like hard black streaks of tar. First I thought it might be hardened grease from the mainspring barrel but it doesn’t seem to want to budge?

I’m going to try and polish them up with a little diamanteen and a buff stick..

Chris

david pierce
      Participant

Chris,
        There are collets called step collets specifically designed for that purpose. The gear is placed in the appropriate step and the drawbar is tightened as with any other collet. If you cannot get a set you can fasten the gear to a faceplate with hot shellac. When you are done the shellac can be washed off with alcohol.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

Thanks again David, I’ll give it a shot with the step chucks, I haven’t tried to shellac them in … yet, probably because like my vertical welding, my shellacking looks like bird droppings 😆

How much Shellac do you use, a drop on four sides or the whole circumference of the gear as it sits on the step?

Chris

david pierce
          Participant

Chris,
            Do not shellac the gear into the step chuck. If you use the shelllac, chuck a piece of brass rod large enough to hold the gear into the lathe. Then take a face cut with your cross slide to get a perpendicular surface to the spindle. Then without removing the brass rod heat it with a clean flame (cigarlette lighter). When it is hot enought to melt the shellac spread it across the surface of the brass rod. Then push the gear onto the rod and squish it around until the flat gear surface is flat against the brass rod. When the shellac cools down a little run the lathe fairly slowly and center the gear in with a small stick. When the rod cools down and the shellac hardens, the gear will be attached and centered. If you go to Youtube there is a Steffan Pahlow video demonstrating this.
            david

chris mabbott
            Participant

Sounds good David, I’m about 70% sure of the method you describe but I will go and watch my hero Steffan on YouTube.

I love watching his vids, a very clever and patient man, I would love to be his apprentice for a year or two. He makes everything look so easy and enjoyable and what a workshop..

Chris

david pierce
              Participant

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Steffan Pahlow never seems to get stumped on anything.

tmac1956
                Participant

david:

Nope…Unlike me, he never gets stumped and he speaks better English than me too. ;)

Later,
                  Tom

arutha
                  Participant

I bet he does, and I bet he makes mistakes but obviously edits them out :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.