Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe collets…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Tom,
      I bought a couple of dead centers already fixed into a ww holder for around $8.00 each from Uncle Larry’s Watch Shop. See if he has any left. You can find his webpage on the general internet. You might also be able to pick up a face plate from him.
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

david:

I found the 4 jaw chuck at RC Tools on eBay and asked them if it would fit the Levin.

Below is their response…

“…50mm diameter with an 8mm collet they are for the boley so im not 100% sure they will fit your lathe.”

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
        tmac1956

david pierce
        Participant

Tom,
          The arbor I got from them fits the Levin.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
            The arbor I got from them fits the Levin.
            david

David:

Do you have the part number? They have several different types.

Thanks,
            Tom

david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              No part number came with mine but if it fits their chuck and a Boley drawbar it is a standard .275-40 and will also fit the Levin.
              david

tmac1956
              Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
                No part number came with mine but if it fits their chuck and a Boley drawbar it is a standard .275-40 and will also fit the Levin.
                david

David:

I think I finally found it…

45mm 4 JAW LATHE CHUCK ON A 8MM COLLET
                Ref: 76090YH

4 JAW LATHE CHUCK FITTED WITH A 8MM WATCHMAKERS COLLET
                SHOWN HERE ON A 8MM BOLEY (LATHE NOT INCLUDED)
                WILL FIT OTHER 8MM LATHES SUCH AS LORCH AND LEVIN

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/info_76090YH.html

Thanks!
                tmac

tmac1956
                Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                  The LEVIN lathe uses the same 8mm collets that the headstock uses. This is one of the features that make the lathe so nice. If your lathe does not have a cross slide and you want to add one, any cross slide (Levin, Wolf Jahn, Derbyshire, etc.) made for these machines will work just fine. Another tool you may want to add later is a face plate. The LEVIN face plate is just a round plate with a bunch of threaded holes drilled into it attached to an 8mm adapter. This you can make yourself.
                  RG tools is a store that sells through Ebay. They do not make anything themselvs. I am pretty sure that the four jaw chuck I bought from them was made in China. The name on the chuck box is HBM; whoever they are. If you search through all of the watch lathe pages on Ebay you will find RG tools. They are located in England.
                  david

david:
                  Per your advise, I’ve ordered a face plate from Uncle Larry’s. Is this what I need?
                  http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/3350a.jpg

I’ve als ordered a 4 jaw chuck from RG tools, a couple of dead centers, and a dozen or so Starrett collets for my Levin lathe. As to a cross slide, I’m guessing I need a three way – is that correct?
                  Thanks!
                  tmac

david pierce
                  Participant

Tmac,
                    Either one will allow you to machine parts. Turning is a two axis process and the two way gives both the “X” and “Z”. To this day I do not know what the advantage of the third cross slide is. It is set at 90 degrees to the “X” slide. The three way slides cost more money and are harder to find but I personally see no advantage to them. Perhaps somone out there knows what a three way slide can do that a two way slide can not do. As a rule of thumb, the more movements that are added to a machine, the less stable the machine is. I have had no problems with either configuration. I guess it is possible that the three way was a marketing ploy thought up by the WOLF JAHN sales department. I do not know.
                    david

david pierce
                    Participant

Tmac.
                      One thing you may want to add later is a quick change tool post. It is a tiny version of the ALORIS quick change design. I bought mine for under $100.00 off of Ebay from a place in Oakland California. I will try to find out who I bought it from and get back later on this. It isn’t absolutly necessary but it is extremely convenient because your tools are pre-aligned and are slipped in and out with a cam lock. It takes up a little more vertical room so if you think you might want to go that route, the two way crosslide takes up a little less vertical space.
                      david

tmac1956
                      Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac.
                        One thing you may want to add later is a quick change tool post. It is a tiny version of the ALORIS quick change design. I bought mine for under $100.00 off of Ebay from a place in Oakland California. I will try to find out who I bought it from and get back later on this. It isn’t absolutly necessary but it is extremely convenient because your tools are pre-aligned and are slipped in and out with a cam lock. It takes up a little more vertical room so if you think you might want to go that route, the two way crosslide takes up a little less vertical space.
                        david

David:

That would be great. I appreciate any advise you can give.

Thanks!
                        tmac

david pierce
                        Participant

Tmac,
                          The company that sells the quick change tool post is called A2Z. Their number is 877-754-7465 toll free and the person is Tim Goldstein. The tool post that will fit your lathe measures 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches and comes as a set with several tool holders. You can also order extra holders separately if and as your need them. The set sells for $81.75 for the non anodized set. The non anodized tools work just as well as the anodized ones. Give them a call and tell them you want the set for small watchmaker lathes. To see what they look like go to Ebay and type in then scroll through until you find the A2Z store.
                          There is a Levin 3 way cross slide up for bid on Ebay. You may want to take a look at it and put in a bid. Almost any brand of cross slide for watchmaker lathes is good (Derbyshire, Wolf Jahn, Marshall, Levin etc.). Usually these sell in the $275.00 to $450.00 range. If the top cros sslide was the pivoting cross slide on the three way I could see an advantage. For some reason unknown to me the watchmaker cross slides pivot the entire “X” , “Z” as a unit. It makes no sense to me but they work just fine.
                          david

tmac1956
                          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                            The company that sells the quick change tool post is called A2Z. Their number is 877-754-7465 toll free and the person is Tim Goldstein. The tool post that will fit your lathe measures 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches and comes as a set with several tool holders. You can also order extra holders separately if and as your need them. The set sells for $81.75 for the non anodized set. The non anodized tools work just as well as the anodized ones. Give them a call and tell them you want the set for small watchmaker lathes. To see what they look like go to Ebay and type in then scroll through until you find the A2Z store.
                            There is a Levin 3 way cross slide up for bid on Ebay. You may want to take a look at it and put in a bid. Almost any brand of cross slide for watchmaker lathes is good (Derbyshire, Wolf Jahn, Marshall, Levin etc.). Usually these sell in the $275.00 to $450.00 range. If the top cros sslide was the pivoting cross slide on the three way I could see an advantage. For some reason unknown to me the watchmaker cross slides pivot the entire “X” , “Z” as a unit. It makes no sense to me but they work just fine.
                            david

david:

Thanks for the information – I’ll check it out. As to the cross slide…. If the “Z” axis isn’t very useful then I, like you, don’t see the need to pay for it. I’ve sent an email to Merlin and Sincere to see if they make a two way that will fit.

Thanks again!
                            tmac

david pierce
                            Participant

Tmac,
                              Merlin and Sincere sell a cross slide to fit the 22mm Sincere/Vector “D” bed lahe. It is a great cross slide but it will not work on the American WW design bed. You will have to buy a used cross slide, probably from Ebay, but you may find another source. Go to Ebay and check out Levin, Derbyshire, Wolf Jahn, Boley, etc.. Remember, a three way is real nice too. If you can get one for a good price it will work well for you.
                              david

david pierce
                              Participant

Tmac,
                                Go to Ebay and type in item number . This is a nice looking cross slide. Take a look at it and get back with me.
                                david

tmac1956
                                Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                                  Go to Ebay and type in item number . This is a nice looking cross slide. Take a look at it and get back with me.
                                  david

It went for a nice price. This slide looks to be almost new.
                                  Thanks,
                                  tmac

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.