• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Well the waiting and anticipation is over. It arrived today at about 2:45 pm via UPS. Unpacked it and began the cleaning process. Anyway it is clean and is running very nicely. I was surprised at how quiet it was. So guess my work starts tomorrow. Hopefully I will get the two pieces I need done before next Friday. Anyway as they say I am happy, happy, happy.

willofiam

Pretty exciting, so whats the first project???? William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

William I have to make two new winding arbors for the great/mainspring wheels of a clock. The lady got it when her parents died. I told her both arbors where the key fits on were twisted. She said her father was a big man so she could see how. She told me she didn’t care the cost just fix it which I will.

david pierce
          Participant

Bernie,
            I love induction motors because they are quiet and the RPM does not slow down under a load. The lathe tool holder that came with the machine is a good sturdy holder but is not as convient to use as the quick change holder. It will certainly get the job done. When you set it up to make a cut make sure that the tip of the cutter is on center. If you need to align the drill chuck precisely put a metal dowel pin in the tailstock chuck and rotate a dial indicator around the pin. For general work requiring less precision, chuck up pointers in the headstock and tailstock and line them up.
            david

gerene
            Participant

Nice lathe Bernie. David is certainly right with his comment about the QCTP. I don’t have one either but I bought several original Taig toolposts and have one for each tool. They are not expensive at all.
              Have fun with it and looking forward to see some results ;-)

Jan

arutha
              Participant

Its always great to get a new piece of kit and that looks smart. I would love a QCTP but they are quite pricey so for the time being I am just changing my tools as I need to and then centering/shimming them….yawn. 🙄
                Paul.

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Ok on this lathe I am thinking of getting the milling attachment. So if I want to mill a slot in a winding arbor which will have to be horizontal the way I see it what kind of vice will I need or will this milling attachment hold round stock to be milled. I can see square stock would be no problem. These winding arbors are for Hermle and Urgo’s movements.

david pierce
                  Participant

Bernie,
                    To clamp a round object in a vice I think it would be best to take a square piece of steel and machine a V into it using the corner of an endmill. The round stock can then be secured in the V block with the overhead clamping screws.
                    david

mahlon
                    Participant

Hey Bernie, I think you will like the Taig. I am just leaning to use a metal lathe, and have been able to make rivets and bushings so far. I am taking mine to a machinist this next week. She is going to try to make an adapter for it so that I can use my ww collets. I drew her a pic. of what I was wanting to do, and she seem to think she could make it. 8-) . I have a full set of the ww collets but no ww lathe. I am hopping it will make it a little easier to tighten down collet with out using wrenches. I have both the standard set and the er-16 collets, but it seems that every piece of brass I try to turn falls in between collet sizes, so I have to tighten Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Yea I know what you mean Mahlon. It will be interesting to see how this works out. They held my arbor when I did the repivot on it so all is good so far. I wish they still made the ww headstock for the taig. I also have a full compliment of ww collets.

gerene
                        Participant

I do have the ww headstock from Taig itself, but I heard rumour that it is no longer available. :(
                          Maybe some dealer might still have one left?

Jan

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

I am going to look around and see if I can find one. May be like looking for a needle in a haystack but you never know.

david pierce
                            Participant

Bernie,
                              Outside of the fact that an 8mm WW collet can hold a very small diameter shaft there is no particular advantage to the collet. The ER-16 collets function beautifully within their range and each collet can grip properly within its gripping range. This is not true with a WW collet. If the shaft is too small for the collet the part will not turn true. The situation you have now is ideal as your WW lathe is perfectly suited for small watch size work.
                              david

bernie weishapl
                              Participant

Thanks David. I also found a 1/32″ ER collets which will probably cover all I will need. I have gotten several e-mails back with no results so won’t sweat it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.