Home Forums General Discussion Forum lantern pinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lad111
    Participant

A friend of mine asked me to look at her Unghans J B11 movement. She sent it a clock repairman who had it for 6 months but could not get it to work more than 15 minutes. Looking at the clock it is clean and all the pivots appear to be correct. The only two things I noticed was the pendulum suspension spring was connected to only one (as opposed to to two) and the number one 9 leaf lantern wheel had an attempted repair on one of the leafs but was misaligned and then soldered into place. It does not appear to be fixable since the original hole placement is damaged. My question(s) can I replace this wheel with another even if the arbor diameter is not the same and the brass thickness is different: original is 1.28 mm replacement .90 mm. original arbor diameter is 4.31mm replacement 3.02. The wheel diameters are the same and the tooth count as well and length is equal. If I use replacement I will need to rebush the pinion holes. But before doing that is this a possible fix and will the clock work? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

arutha
      Participant

Hi,
        what do you mean the suspension spring was only attached to 1 instead of two? I dont quite understand what you mean.
        With the lantern pinion trundles, can you not re-solder the bad trundle to get it back in to its correct position? If you just heat the solder that is there and re-set it in the correct position it should work ok. If the end of the lantern pinion that is bad and is facing away from the wheel you can machine the end of it down until you can remove all of the trundles, put in some new ones using pivot steel and then make a new cap to solder over the top or just make a whole new top making sure the centre hole is tight on the arbor. You can use a replacement wheel but you must first make sure the tooth shape and lantern pinion trundles and overall diameter are the same as the original wheel otherwise it will just bind up.
        Paul.

lad111
        Participant

Thank you for your response. The leaf that is out has had the original hole destroyed. Otherwise it is no longer a hole but an ugly slot.

lad111
          Participant

The suspension spring is similar to a Morbier suspension spring (TimeSavers catalog #39 page 87).

arutha
            Participant

If you are saying that one of the steel strips in the suspension spring is broken then you will have to order a new one.
              The only way to repair that lantern pinion is to make a new top otherwise you will have to find a replacement.
              Paul.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.