Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lantern Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Ren this one is for you. You posted a link to one of these style clocks in my 400 day post. I think these are called Lantern clocks but not sure. If anyone has a official name for them I would be interested. I bought this at a garage sale last summer and gave a dollar for it. I don’t think it is a clock that has any great value but it interested me. The weights were missing so I need to figure out what size weights I need for it. It has a larger weight on one side of the rope and a smaller one on the other side. Should be interesting to try and figure it out. Anyway here it is.

namonllor1953
      Participant

Hi Bernie and Merry Christmas.
        Thank you for posting this for me. I also believe these type of clocks are called Lantern Clocks, I believe I read it somewhere.
        As for the weights and how much to use, I believe the weight can be figured out mathematically. Either in “The Modern Clock” or “A Practcal Guide to Wooden Wheeled Clock Design” there is information that will help you figure out the weights needed.
        As I recall, it’s more than just “a” formula. It’s a series of things that have to be taken into consideration for proper time-keeping.
        At any rate, it should be interesting, getting it to run accurately. You probably know this already and I mention it only because, I was very surprised to learn this fact but, wooden wheeled clocks, if porperly designed and executed, are as accurate as most any other clock. I’m talking about 1 minute/year, that’s pretty darn awsome.
        Thanks again Bernie and enjoy your day pal.

maitai11
        Participant

Wow Bernie, very nice, indeed!

Best,

Tim :)

gerene
          Participant

Hi Bernie, this is an interesting clock. Probably made by some woodworker according to plans widely available. I believe they are even sold in kit form.
            I have build one myself. Not in wood, but in steel and brass. Here is a picture of the one that I made completely from scratch (except for the chapter ring).

There are indeed 2 weights, a heavier and a lighter one. The lighter one is just a jockey to keep the rope over the wheel. There is a single rope going through the pulleys and over the driving wheel in the clock. The effective weight used for traction is the difference between the two weights. The weight is rather important because it is the main factor for regulating this type of clock.

The escapement is of the verge and foliot type and can’t be made very accurate. You can regulate it by moving the 2 litlle weights on the foliot, but the weights used for traction are more important. If you add some weight to those your clock will go faster. It is a matter of try and error;). This type of escapement is from before Christian Huygens invented the pendulum driven escapements. Medieval tower clocks were made based in this principle and some of them are still in use.
            I have build mine based on John Wilding’s book: “How to make a simple 16th century style clock”. It was a fun project and I learned a lot while doing this. Making the gears was kind of a challenge but I managed to build the clock and it is still hanging on my wall and ticking.
            It is however not a lantern clock. Lantern clocks are very distinct wall clocks in use from around 1600, mostly made out of brass. For more information and pictures:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_clock

Jan

namonllor1953
            Participant

Hi Jan,
              Beautiful job on your Foliot clock and thanks for setting my memory on the correct path.
              Again, a beautiful job .
              Hope you had a great Holiday,

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Thanks Jan. The clock on the back said No Jewels and below that Made in Germany. What is the weight of your two weights? That would give me a starting point. Really nice looking clock.

gerene
                Participant

The heavier weight is around 1200 g and the lighter one is 300 g.

Jan

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Thanks Jan. As I said that will give me a point to start.

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Bernie, that is a cool looking clock my brother, me no see before :D

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Thanks Chris. I hadn’t seen one either. Figured for a dollar it was a pretty cool clock.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.