Home Forums General Discussion Forum L & R Mastermatic Cleaning Machine Lens Cover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I’m always amazed at what people will pay for stuff on eBay. I saw this and thought I’d share it. This person is selling a vintage lamp cover for L & R Mastermatic Cleaning Machine Lens Cover which was probably manufactured during the 50’s – 70’s. The bidding/buy it now is set at $9.95. Being an old musician I recognize that item as the same ones used on guitar amps during the same time period. As you might guess, they are still being manufactured and you can buy them all day long in multiple colors for $1.95.

Here’s the eBay link:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-R-Master-or-Mastermatic-Cleaning-Machine-Lens-Cover-For-Light/370814246073?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D7661538767947426292%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D161026369429%26

Here’s the aftermarket part:
      http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/P-L115

I’ve found this to often be the case. A little detective work can sometimes save a lot of money.

Just FYI…
      tmac

willofiam

Hey Tmac, good find, yes I am sure this happens alot, do you suppose this means a horologist should make more money than a rock star?? I will have to revisit my pricing. William

tmac1956
        Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey Tmac, good find, yes I am sure this happens alot, do you suppose this means a horologist should make more money than a rock star?? I will have to revisit my pricing. William

Based upon the older posting of the rock star who is building wood horolgy work benches and the money he made in the music industry, I would have to say no. ;)

tmac

arutha
          Participant

Its amazing what you can find that is sold as one thing and is expensive and is then sold for another application and it is only a quater of the price. Gritter cob is a classic example, you can buy it for reptile vivariums to put in the bottom, it is absorbent and is the middle of cob corn ground down, in this situation it is quite cheap. Now if you are a horologist and are buying it to dry off movements after cleaning it cost almost 4 times as much. Unfortunately the reptile type is not quite fine enough for drying clock parts but a friend of mine bought a sackfull of the fine stuff for even less that the terrarium stuff.
            It pays to do your research and can save you a lot of money.
            One more example is 1dip for balance springs, I would love a lab to analyze it and tell me if it is anything other than brake and clutch cleaner, 1 dip cost around £7 for 15ml whereas brake and clutch cleaner cost £15 for 5 Litres! 😯
            Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.