Home Forums General Discussion Forum Korean Regulator Clock Strike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

so forgive me because I dont know the names of these parts but I have this clock and the strike is not working good. So the warning happens on the 30 and hour mark, but the 30 min doesn’t happen, it starts up like its going to strike but stops short of doing so. My question on that is should i spread the plates and back up the warning wheel a bit so that the strike happens that then the lever(not sure of the name) stops it? Also on the hour it only strikes three times on each hour, I have tried to move around the snail to see if it would change and it doesnt.

willofiam

out of memory I think the locking lever point to the warning lever point is set by where the 2 levers are located. It does not have very much of a run to warning. I will have to think about it some more. Is the rack not falling? if not then can you see what may be holding it from doing so.

chaplin37
        Participant

Hi William,

Yes you are correct, and the rack does fall but only enough to chime 3 times.

willofiam

can you see what is holding it up?

chaplin37
            Participant

If I use a plate spreader just to slightly open the plates do i have to let down the mainspring?

chaplin37
              Participant

Here are some pictures

willofiam

@chaplin37 wrote:

If I use a plate spreader just to slightly open the plates do i have to let down the mainspring?

I would….Why do you want to spread the plates?
                  not sure what your pictures are showing.

chaplin37
                  Participant

Hi William this is what I noticed with the clock, it strikes correctly on each hour but it doesn’t strike on the 1/2 hour mark. What it does is the warning happens and then when it reaches the 1/2 mark the locking pin on the wheel is released and it looks like it is going to strike but before it can the locking tab stops it. So the reason why i was asking about spreading the plates is i was thinking that the locking wheel has to be re positioned so the doesnt’ stop the strike early like it is on the 1/2 mark. Let me know if you think this is correct. I saw something that said that when the pin is resting against the lever that stops it to then move the wheel back 1/8.

willofiam

I worked on one of those about 6 months ago but I have to apologize….when I deal with that stuff I just know what to look for when it is in hand, but explaining it or deciphering the issue to someone is more difficult for me. HEY…I just remembered where I have that movement…hang on…….O.K. here we go….

No… moving that wheel wont change your issue, it will only allow the star lifting cam for the hammers to change position…now… check to see that the warning / lifting lever is all the way to the left and the pin on the wheel is past it….then look at the rack hook / locking lever that it is in place and locking the wheel…if you move and release (with your finger) that rack hook / locking lever the strike should happen and as many times as it needs to to pick the rack back up….the warning wheel should turn bypassing the warning / lifting lever. When it stops striking the detent on the rack hook that drops onto the gathering pallet should be about 1/2 way in that notched area on the gathering pallet.

with the minute hand on the movement turn it to put it into warning and stop moving the minute hand before it releases and strikes…take note of the action between the detent on the rack hook and gathering pallet…they should not interfere with each other.

Another thing to look at is that the return spring for both those levers is doing its job…and not binding or broken

I am thinking the issue is the gathering pallet position…though I could be wrong.

Not that this is the right answer to your problem BUT I think it is a start to figuring it out…Please spend time studying all these parts (I am sure you have) and how they are interacting and I think we will get this…Have fun….

chaplin37
                      Participant

Thanks, both the warning and locking levers are to the left and the pin is past the warning and stopped by the locking. I took a video for you to see. Towards the end is the hour strike and the weird thing is when it starts the locking lever quickly hits two of the teeth on the rack.

willofiam

Excellent, video really helped….looks like the rack tail (the piece that contacts the snail) is hitting the snail in the wrong place..I think if you put the hour hand on and turn that by itself it will advance the snail to a different spot (on most all Korean clocks I have worked on) a little different setup, the hour hand has 2 tabs that fit over the hour post so that is in a set spot, just a matter of lining up the hour hand to the #s on the dial. The rack tail should drop onto the snail approximately 1/2 way on the snail step…a sure way to get the setup correct is to go from 12:00 to 1:00 without any binding. Also when the rack drops and the rack hook is released into it….the hook should drop in between the teeth on the rack, otherwise other adjustments are needed.

chaplin37
                          Participant

Great thanks, I will give this a try with the hour hand now will that solve the strike not happening on the 1/2 mark? Or is that have to do with the rack hook dropping in 1/2 way? If it isn’t what do you suggest has an adjustment?

chaplin37
                            Participant

The strike at 1 o’clock is also locking up like the 1/2 strike

chaplin37
                              Participant

Figured out the 1 o’clock strike but still not the 1/2

chaplin37
                                Participant

Figured it out, star wheel had to be moved a little bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.