Home Forums General Discussion Forum Knurling…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

Does anyone know of a knurling attachment for the 8mm lathe? Or failing that, perhaps there is something that I can adapt to a mini drill/mill?

Thanks!
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        Knulsing is a heavy duty low precision job best done on an engine lathe. This operation is not one I would want to subject a high precision watchmaker lathe. It requires a good bit of power and puts a lot of pressure on the spindle and spindle bearings. A watchmaker lathe is designed to make high precision tiny parts and I do not feel that the machine should be pushed beyond that.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

David:

Thanks… I did find a hand knurler at Enco, but I’m not sure how small it will go. I suppose a 2×4 and a file would work for smaller stuff. Again… thanks for keeping me straight. The last thing I want to do is to put uneeded wear on the Levin. I pulled apart the head stock today for the first time to clean it. The thing looks like new – I sure did get lucky with that purchase (unlike most of my endeavors). ;)

Thanks!
          Tom

Oh… By the way… What is the recommended depth to take on the HF drill mill for brass and aluminum? The manual doesn’t tell me anything and I don’t want to blow a gear on that.

david pierce
          Participant

Tom,
            Do you have the mill?
            david

tmac1956
            Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
              Do you have the mill?
              david

It is on order (I downloaded the manual from their web site) . I should have it within a week. I’ve got the stuff that you recommended and I have a spot set up for it. I have a guy comming in to upgrade the power in my shop (spare bedroom). I’m just waitin’ on the thing to get here. Very excited!
              Thanks!
              Tom

david pierce
              Participant

Tom,
                The motor on the mill is not a high horsepower motor. I have my mill in a spare bedroom and did not modify the power. I have not had any problems with the power. The depth of cut and feed rate will have to be learned through trial and error. Large industrial equipment uses charts and nomographs to calculate feeds, speeds and cut depths but this will not really apply with this machine.
                david

tmac1956
                Participant

David:

That’s good to hear… you just saved me a couple hundred bucks!

Later,
                  Tom

david pierce
                  Participant

Tom,
                    I looked at my motor and it only draws 4.5 amps. If you have a fairly modern house with circuit breaker protection, there should not be any problems. Open the door of your circuit breaker box and look at the tips of the breaker switches. The number moulded into the switch is the maximum amount of amperage supplied to that line. Twenty amps per line is the normal amount in most modern houses. Since your motor only draws 4.5 amps, you should be safe.
                    david

tmac1956
                    Participant

David:

All of the single brakers are 20 amps, so I should be good.

Thanks again!
                      Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.