Home Forums General Discussion Forum Kieninger platform

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Howdy yall, I have this Kieninger movement with a platform escapement. I have never seen one of these newer type of platforms. My question is, should these have a similar amplitude as a “real” platform. When it came in the customers said it was running fast. It had a very low amplitude, maybe 20-30 degrees, figuring a good cleaning would do it. I have thoroughly cleaned the movement (total dis-assembly), bushed the strike train only as the rest looked fine, oiled, pivots are straight and look in good shape, without the escapement it turns freely. I had also taken apart and hand cleaned the platform (no chemicals), also removed and cleaned the mainsprings. I am getting 160 to 180 degrees amplitude now and it is timing out at 180000 bph but it just doesnt seem right. It may be I need a new mainspring but as the other one looked O.K. if I put a small amount of pressure on a wheel down the train and it picks up amplitude BUT just a bit more pressure and it locks up the escapement so this is why I am a bit confused with it and debating the mainspring. I will include a few photos, notice the platform lever/pallets/pivot points/escape wheel and pinion is made out of some kind of plastic. Not sure about lubrication for the escapement either. Any thoughts? Thanks and have a great day, William

digitaltripper
      Participant

As I am sure you know, you want to use watch oil in the reassembly. When I clean a platform I use one-dip, works great. Does that platform engage a crown wheel or is it a ‘regular’ wheel, and in either case, is there an adjustment for spacing? The ‘lockup’ you describe points to some engagement issue like the escape wheel may be skipping (not locking on the pallet)? Forget what the amplitude looks like, and this will sound silly, but have you run the clock to see if it keeps time? BTW Hi William, I have not been here in awhile, I hope all is well with you and the other members of the forum…

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I also clean them with one dip and oil with a watch escapement oil. I believe it is Moebius 9010. Usually I do replace the mainspring if I have any doubt.

willofiam

Hey guys thanks for the input and yes all is well,
            @digitaltripper wrote:

Does that platform engage a crown wheel or is it a ‘regular’ wheel, and in either case, is there an adjustment for spacing?

It is a “regular” wheel, made out of plastic. there is no adjustment, the lever and pallets and pivot holes are also plastic. and no it does not skip.
            Did not want to use any chemicals because of the plastic, I may be wrong but I had thought onedip may ruin it. cant remember who mentioned it but I heard a electrical spray contact cleaner would work since it wont harm plastic.

Everything looked alright, thats why my question was leaning towards whether anyone has seen this type of platform and what the proper amplitude of the balance should be because if it is way to low it could be a issue. I am test running it now and yes it is keeping time at 18000 bph.
            @Bernie Weishapl wrote:

and oil with a watch escapement oil

wondering if thats the right type of lubricant for these plastic parts? That is what I used. anyway, have a good day, William

arutha
            Participant

William,
              Would quartz watch oil be better as that is designed to work with plastics?
              Paul.

willofiam

Thats a great idea Paul, thanks, William

stevefitzwater
                Participant

ok William, going to don my Apprentice Hat and robe, and ask a silly question.. 😳

Since there are plastic parts in the movement, and not having seen the movement ever, I am wondering if the plastic parts might minimize the amplitude?

I will go sit in the corner just incase… LOL

willofiam

Steve, I was thinking that also, there is no adjustment to anything on this platform, except for adjusting beat / endshake for balance staff/ and hairspring length. I am leaning towards having low amplitude and have decided for a new mainspring even though I have my doubts it will solve the problem (could be wrong though) I see no visible wear to the platform balance parts and yes, without any other information about it and its proper function my instincts are telling me the amplitude is still too low. William

arutha
                    Participant

Hi William,
                      after reading through this thread on the NAWCC forum – http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?78165-Kieninger-platform – It looks like these platforms only run well for around 6 years and then need to be replaced.
                      Here is a link for a replacement – http://knoppix.net/store/New-Kieninger-Clock-Balance-Platform-Escapement-Movements-Service-Repair-Parts_271671216753.html
                      Unfortunately a lot of these new clock movements are just put together with materials that don’t hold up well.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Paul.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.